Recommended Student Computer Configuration
Looking to buy your student a new computer?
At WCU, we have designed our systems, services, and applications to be mobile friendly, platform agnostic and device independent to enable our constituents to use a device of their preference whether that be on the Microsoft Windows or Apple Macintosh platforms. To aid in making a well-informed selection for your device, we have standardized minimal device requirements. In addition, we have established relationships with well-known computer manufacturers to obtain educational discounts on their products.
|Operating System||Latest Windows 10 or MacOS version*
*Education, Art and Music Majors should consider a Mac, but it is not mandatory
|Processor||Industry standard Intel or AMD processor|
|Memory||8GB or more|
|Hard Drive||500GB or more|
- WCU does not endorse or promote any specific computer system.
- Education, Art and Music Majors should consider a Mac, but it is not mandatory.
- Read online reviews for any brand you are considering.
- Expand and review the section below entitled Recommended Computer Specs for Students.
- Remember to use your Student ID for educational discounts.
- Consider insurance to cover theft, loss, or accidental damage.
- Consider an extended warranty to cover hardware failures that occur beyond the standard manufacturer's warranty.
- Before you purchase any software, expand the section below entitled Available Software Applications at WCU.
- Chromebooks and tablets are not fully compatible with all WCU systems or programs.
Information Services & Technology provides secure access to a variety of systems and software applications to students and employees.
Microsoft 365 makes the Microsoft Office Suite of productivity tools, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, OneDrive, and more, available to every student and employee. Learn More
Adobe Creative Cloud for Education is a collection of 20+ desktop and mobile apps and services for photography, 3D design, video production, web design and UX/ UI design. This software suite will be available this fall FREE for students enrolled in programs within College of Arts and Humanities and Wells School of Music.
RamCloud VDI virtualizes and enables access to WCU licensed applications from any device (Mac, PC, or mobile) anywhere, at any time. Learn More
- You do not have to purchase a printer because RamPrint printers are available throughout the campus and students are given 125 print credits per week. To promote sustainability, we recommend that you only print if absolutely necessary.
- Flash Drive (for ease of saving and sharing files)
- Ethernet (network) cable of 15' or more if your computer has an Ethernet (network) jack or adapter to have a wired connection to the network
- Security Cable-Lock/Device (for laptops)
- Webcam (for video conferencing on things like Zoom (most newer computers have the webcam built in so please check first before purchasing a separate webcam)