Students employed in Sykes Student Union are looked upon as a team whose goal is to serve the university and the community, ensuring that our mission is fulfilled. Every employee is essential to the overall operation of the building.
On this page, you'll find helpful information about working in the student union such as brief job descriptions, a link to the online application, and eligibility requirements.
Sykes Union and Student Activities is proud to employ over 50 students in its operation. As an employee, you'll enjoy many benefits and perks, including:
- convenient location
- setting your own flexible schedule
- knowledge of campus events and information
- access to free food leftover from events in the building
- a close-knit team of coworkers
- RISE: Rams Integrating Skills and Education professional development program
- personalized 1-on-1 supervision
- hands-on job training
- campus networking opportunities
We hire students for the following positions each semester, usually in October and March. During our hiring periods, you can find detailed job descriptions and submit your application on Handshake.
- Building Managers: are responsible for event set up and break down, audio-visual technology set up and troubleshooting, and rounds of the facility.
- Graphic Designers: utilize their specialized training in graphic design to create graphics, flyers, reports, calendars, etc. for our department.
Email us at SykesStudentUnion@wcupa.edu if you have any questions about the application or interview process.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Reliable, dependable, responsible, and confident
- Demonstrated ability to work with groups of diverse individuals
- Ability to work without supervision
- Dedication to working as a team player
- Ability to work flexible hours including nights, early mornings, and weekends.
- Must attend all mandatory staff training sessions (typically the week before classes start each semester)
- Comply with all aspects of the University Student Code of Conduct
- Maintain the highest ethical and professional conduct at all time
- Successful completion of the Pre-Employment Background Check
Those who possess a sincere interest in working for Sykes Student Union should follow the process outlined below.
- Complete the official application via Handshake, attaching a resume and answers to our essay questions on RamConnect.
- Applications will be reviewed, and qualified candidates will be contacted to participate in an interview
- Offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of the Pre-Employment Background Check
- New staff must sign an employment agreement and complete the onboarding process with Human Resources & Payroll
- Attend staff training prior to the first day of classes.
Rams Integrating Skills and Education (RISE) is a long-term student development program that includes intentional and comprehensive learning outcomes derived from the National Associate of Colleges and Employers (NACE) career readiness competencies and the Division of Student Affairs learning domains. RISE takes the standard performance evaluation process and reimagines it as an overarching professional and personal development plan for Sykes Union and Student Activities’ paraprofessionals.
RISE assesses student learning in eight functional skill areas: Communication, Critical Thinking, Digital Technology, Interpersonal Skills, Accountability/Professionalism/Work Ethic, Intercultural Fluency, Career Readiness, and Leadership.
Assessment of the program’s inaugural year (2022-2023) suggested that 74% of the student staff grew in at least 70% of the RISE learning outcomes.
If you have any comments, concerns, or suggestions, we encourage you to share them with us. We at Sykes Student Union, strive provide excellence and we appreciate your feedback.