Students employed in Sykes Student Union are looked upon as a team whose goal is to serve the university and the community, ensuring that our mission is fulfilled. Every employee is essential to the overall operation of the building.
On this page, you'll find helpful information about working in the student union such as job descriptions, a link to the online application, and eligibility requirements.
Benefits of Working at Sykes
Sykes Student Union and Activities is proud to employ nearly 50 students in its operation. As an employee, you'll enjoy many benefits and perks, including:
- little to no commute
- setting your own schedule
- career development
- campus networking opportunities
- knowledge of campus events and information
- access to free food leftover from events in the building
- a close-knit family of coworkers
We hire students for the following positions each semester. When they are live, you can find the job descriptions and submit your application on Handshake.
- Building Manager
- Operations Specialist
- Copy Center Associate
- Rams After Hours Staff
- Graphic Designer
Email us at SykesStudentUnion@wcupa.edu if you have any questions about the application or interview process.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Reliable, dependable, responsible, and confident
- Demonstrated ability to work with groups of diverse individuals
- Ability to work without supervision
- Dedication to working as a team player
- Ability to work flexible hours including nights, early mornings, and weekends.
- Must be willing to commute to campus for work.
- Maintain the minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5
- Must attend all mandatory staff training sessions
- Comply with all aspects of the University Student Code of Conduct
- Maintain the highest ethical and professional conduct at all time
- Successful completion of the Pre-Employment Background Check
Those who possess a sincere interest in working for Sykes Student Union should follow the process outlined below.
- Complete the official application on Handshake, attaching a resume and answers to our essay questions.
- Applications will be reviewed, and qualified candidates will be contacted to participate in the interview process via Zoom.
- Offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of the Pre-Employment Background Check, grade check, and WCU conduct history check
- New staff must complete the onboarding process and sign an employment contract
- Attend staff training prior to the first day of classes.
If you have any comments, concerns, or suggestions, we encourage you to share them with us. We at Sykes Student Union, strive provide excellence and we appreciate your feedback.