WCU is a subscribing institution with The Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI Program). CITI provides comprehensive online training in Animal Care and Use, Export Control, Human Subjects Research and Responsible Conduct of Research. CITI content addresses the needs of the entire research team: investigators, students, technicians, and administrators.
- Visit the additional contact information page for more detail on who to contact.
Responsible Conduct of Research Training for WCU Researchers (faculty, students and staff)
Federal Government agencies and West Chester University require training in the Responsible Conduct of Research for all Principal investigators and undergraduate and graduate students including faculty advisors who are participating in research projects whether or not funded by external or internal grants.
For instructions on how to create a CITI account and select courses, please follow the instructions below (please note, if you already have created a CITI account, please log-in and start at #10 below)
- Go to citiprogram.org and click on Register under Create an account.
- Enter West Chester University into the Affiliation text box (choose WCU when it appears as you type)
- Select Continue to Step 2
- Follow on-screen instructions for step 2-4
- For step 5, regarding CEU credits, please select No
- For step 6, you only need to enter the information with an asterisk
- For Step #7: Responsible Conduct of Research Courses, select from the course discipline that most closely aligns with your research.
- Other courses can be selected as desired
- After all courses have been chosen, click complete registration, and then click finalize registration.
- To begin the training, please select the appropriate Responsible Conduct of Research course from your course list.
- If you do not see the appropriate Responsible Conduct of Research Course on your course list, please select "add a course or update learner groups" and under Responsible Conduct of Research Courses, select from the course discipline that most closely aligns with your research.
- Once you pass the training, you can access your CITI completion report as proof of training.
- If you have any questions regarding which trainings to register for, please contact:
- Catherine Spaur (610-436-3060)
Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC)
It is the responsibility of the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) to monitor and approve all animal use at West Chester University. As part of that responsibility, the IACUC also must investigate all allegations of animal abuse in research laboratories or teaching facilities at West Chester University. Visit the link below for a current list of committee members and well as current policies.
Financial Conflict of Interest (FCOI)
Conducting high quality research and instructional activities is integral to the primary mission of the West Chester University of Pennsylvania. Active participation by faculty and other employees in external activities that enhance their professional skills or constitute public service can be beneficial to the University as well as the individual. It is University policy that all Investigators submitting applications for external funding of sponsored research or scholarly activity disclose to the University any financial interests which the Investigator or the Investigator's immediate family hold, if these holdings could reasonably give the appearance that a financial conflict of interest might exist between the Investigator and the external sponsor of the research.
Anyone applying for an external grant or cooperative agreement must comply with the FCOI Policy
- WCU Policy: Financial Conflict of Interest (FCOI) in University Research
- PASSHE Procedure Standard 2016-22: Management of Financial Conflict of Interest
- Disclosure of Significant Financial Interest Form
Required FCOI Trainings
If engaged in a project funded by the NSF or a sponsor that follows the Public Health Service (PHS) rules for FCOI (at 42 CFR 50, Subpart F), you must complete FCOI training once every four years.
WCU provides free FCOI training through its membership with CITI program. Please click the link below to log on (or create a new account if needed) with CITI program.
If you need to create a new account, click register and enter West Chester University in the organization affiliation dropdown.
Any questions? please contact the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs at 610-436-3557 or firstname.lastname@example.org
West Chester University of Pennsylvania (WCU) is responsible for promoting academic practices that prevent misconduct and for developing policies and procedures for dealing with allegations of misconduct.
Export Control Laws are federal regulations that restrict the transfer of certain materials, technology, related technical data, and certain services outside the United States in the interest of protecting the national security and economic competitiveness. With extensive input from universities, the system developed procedures for compliance with 1) Export Administration Regulations implemented by the Department of Commerce, 2) International Traffic in Arms Regulations implemented by the Department of State and 3) Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control economic and trade sanctions which protect foreign policy and national security goals. Procedure/Standard 2012-14-A provides procedures as well as Supplemental Information for the universities to assist in compliance with these laws. Web resources are available on the System's intranet, including a summary of the regulations, campus training sessions, newsletters and more.
Planning international travel?
The Center for International Programs at West Chester University provides oversight for all international travel. Visit the export control page of the Center for International Programs for the required travel forms.
Clinical Trial Guidelines
- Contact us at 610-436-3557
- Email Us