- B.S., Indiana University
- Ph.D., Indiana University
- CHE 103, CHE 104 General Chemistry
- CHE 107 General Chemistry for Allied Health Sciences
- CHE 310 Introductory Biochemistry
- CHE 321 Analytical Chemistry I
- CHE 371 Forensic Chemistry II
- CHE 403 Chemistry of the Environment
- CHE 424 Advanced Analytical Chemistry
- CRL 103, CRL 104 General Chemistry Lab
- CRL 107 General Chemistry for Allied Health Sciences Lab
- CRL 321 Analytical Chemistry I Lab
- CRL 371Forensic Chemistry Lab
- CRL 424 Analytical Chemistry II Lab
Research Experience and Student Research Opportunities:
I involve students in a variety of research opportunities that are related to analytical chemistry. My primary research has been in the atmospheric chemistry of volatile organic compounds of a biological nature, but I also do research related to forensic chemistry.
- Electrical Pulse Generated Upon Discharging a Firearm and Its Implication for Gunshot Residue Analysis, Ella Choban and Tim Starn, J Forensic Sci, 2019 doi: 10.1111/1556-4029.14159.
- Highly functionalized organic nitrates in the southeast United States: Contribution to secondary organic aerosol and reactive nitrogen budgets, Ben H. Lee, Claudia Mohr, Felipe D. Lopez-Hilfiker, Anna Lutz, Mattias Hallquist, Lance Lee, Paul Romer, Ronald C. Cohen, Siddharth Iyer, Theo Kurtén, Weiwei Hue, Douglas A. Daye, Pedro Campuzano-Joste, Jose L. Jimenez, Lu Xu, Nga Lee Ng, Hongyu Guo, Rodney J. Weber, Robert J. Wild, Steven S. Brown, Abigail Koss, Joost de Gouw, Kevin Olson, Allen H. Goldstein, Roger Seco, Saewung Kim, Kevin McAvey, Paul B. Shepson, Tim Starn, Karsten Baumann, Eric S. Edgerton, Jiumeng Liu, John E. Shilling, David O. Miller, William Brune, Siegfried Schobesberger, Emma L. D’Ambro, and Joel A. Thornton, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 2016 113 (6) 1516-1521.
- Observation of isoprene hydroxynitrates in the southeastern United States and implications
for the fate of NO, F. Xiong, K. M. McAvey, K. A. Pratt, C. J. Groff, M. A. Hostetler, M. A. Lipton,
T. K. Starn, J. V. Seeley, S. B. Bertman, A. P. Teng, J. D. Crounse, T. B. Nguyen,
P. O. Wennberg, P. K. Misztal, A. H. Goldstein, A. B. Guenther, A. R. Koss, K. F.
Olson, J. A. de Gouw, K. Baumann, E. S. Edgerton, P. A. Feiner, L. Zhang, D. O. Miller,
W. H. Brune, and P. B. Shepson, Atmos. Chem. Phys. 15, 11257 (2015).
- A disjunct eddy accumulation system for the measurement of BVOC fluxes: instrument characterizations and field deployment, G. D. Edwards, D. K. Martin, T. Starn, K. Pratt, and P. B. Shepson, Atmos. Meas. Tech., 5, 2115–2132, 2012.
- Thermal imaging of microwave electric fields inside of the surfatron and the microwave plasma torch, T.K Starn, L.L. Dearth-Monroe, E.J. Andrews, E. Bair, Q. Jin, and G.M. Hieftje, Spectrochimica Acta Part B, 57, 267-275, 2002.
- Observations of nonmethane hydrocarbons and oxygenated volatile organic compounds at a rural site in the southeastern United States, D. Riemer, W. Pos, P. Milne, C. Farmer, R. Zika, E. Apel, K. Olszyna, T. Kliendienst, W. Lonneman, S. Bertman, P. Shepson and T. Starn, J. Geophys. Res., 103(D21), 28111, 1998.
- Measurements comparison of oxygenated volatile organic compounds at a rural site during the 1995 SOS Nashville Intensive, E.C. Apel, J.G. Calvert, D. Riemer, W. Pos, R. Zika, T.E. Kleindienst, W.A. Lonneman, K. Fung, E. Fujita, P.B. Shepson, T,K. Starn and P.T. Roberts, J. Geophys. Res., 103(D17), 22,295, 1998.
- Observations of isoprene chemistry and its role in ozone production at a semirural site during the 1995 Southern Oxidants Study, T.K Starn, P.B. Shepson, S.B. Bertman, J.S. White, B.G. Splawn, D.D. Riemer, R.G. Zika, and K. Olszyna, J. Geophys. Res. 103(D17) 22,425, 1998.
- Nighttime isoprene chemistry at an urban-impacted forest site, T.K Starnm P.B. Shepson, S.B. Bertman, D.D. Riemer, R.G. Zika, and K. Olszyna, J. Geophys. Res., 103(D17), 22,437, 1998.
- 9th Annual PA Forensic Science Student Research Exchange, 2019, "Evidence of electrical charge on gunshot residue during the firing of a weapon." Ella Choban and Tim Starn.
- 8th Annual PA Forensic Science Student Research Exchange, 2018, "FTIR-ATR analysis of high-performance fibers subjected to weathering." Ella Choban and Tim Starn.
- AGU 2013 #A13A-0177, "Observations of speciated monoterpenes above a Southeastern United States Forest and comparison with a 0-D model." McAvey, K. M., Groff, C. J., Harkins, A. D., Bertman, S. B., Starn, T., Seeley, J. S., and Shepson, P. B.
- AGU 2010 #A53C-0249, "Explaining a consistent morning NOx maximum in the clean air forest boundary layer" P. B. Shepson, M. Alaghmand, S. B. Bertman, M. A. Carroll, S. L. Edburg, B. T. Jobson, F. N. Keutsch, T. Starn, B. K. Lamb, P. S. Stevens, W. Wallace and X. Zhou.
- AGU 2010 #A53C-0231, "Measurements of BVOC fluxes during the 2009 CABINEX field campaign." Gavin D. Edwards, Douglas K. Martins, Tim Starn and Paul B. Shepson.
- AGU 2008, "Determination of Reactive Nitrogen Species (NOx, NOy-HNO3, Peroxyacyl Nitrates and Total Organic Nitrates) During the PROPHET Summer 2008 Intensive." With Marjan Alaghmand, Nate Slade, Mary Anne Carroll, Steven Bertman, Philip Stevens, and Paul Shepson.
- NEAFS 2008, "Using Gunshot Residue to Map the Locard Exchange Principle." with Samantha Shumlas and Amber Loiselle.
- NEAFS 2008, "Crafting a Coherent Chemical Curriculum: Forensic and Toxicological Chemistry."
- NEAFS 2007, "Investigation of the Effects of Firefighting Foams on the Detection of Accelerants." with Steven Ferraioli and Sheena Nonnemacher.
- AGU 2004 "Disjunct Eddy Accumulation Measurements of Organic Nitrate Fluxes Over a Forest Site in Northern Michigan" with D. K. Martins, G.D. Edwards, and P.B. Shepson (abstract # B13B-0225).