Jonathan Ragonese, Director
Dates/Times To Be Determined
For advanced middle school and all high school students.
West Chester University's Summer Jazz Camp, which is designed for advanced middle school and all high school students, participants will explore the pedagogy of jazz improvisation, arranging, orchestration, jazz history, and performance techniques. Visiting artists as well as the WCU faculty will perform and conduct masterclasses on various subjects. All participants will need to have a knowledge of scales, be able to read music, transpose and be proficient on an instrument.
- Dave Cullen, Guitar
- Chris Hanning, Drums
- Marc Jacoby, Vibes and Technology
- Paul Jost, Vocal Jazz
- Terry Klinefelter, Piano
- Peter Paulsen, Bass and Jazz Arranging
- Jonathan Ragonese, Saxophone
- John Swana, Trumpet
An honors track is available for advanced students. Honors track students will be placed in an additional ensemble (Honors Jazz Band), and they will rehearse for and perform at the Thursday evening Criterions Alumni Reunion Concert.
Honors track applicants must submit a private/unlisted YouTube recording of two jazz tunes (one swing and one Latin) performed with a big band, combo, or play-along accompaniment. The recording should demonstrate both the melody and improvisation (drummers should demonstrate soloing by trading 4s). The audition video, along with the student’s application and deposit, must be submitted by May 22nd. Please email your YouTube video link (for a private/password-protected video) to email@example.com on or before May 22nd. Acceptance into the Honors Jazz Band will be announced at the start of camp.
Available for Three College Credits (matriculated students only)
Undergraduate: AIM 429-31 • Graduate: AIM 679-31
For fee information contact the Bursar’s Office: (610) 436-2552
- Resident: $710 (includes tuition, housing and all meals)
- Resident Early Registration: $685, must be postmarked by May 11th
- Commuter: $620 (includes tuition, lunch and dinner)
- Commuter Early Registration: $595, must be postmarked by May 11th
Premium Package: July 6-17, 2020
High School Summer Music Institute + Summer Jazz Camp
(includes a free night’s stay and complimentary brunch on Sunday!)
- Resident: $1420 (includes tuition, housing and all meals)
- Resident Early Registration: $1370, must be postmarked by May 11th
- Commuter: $1240 (includes tuition, lunch and dinner)
- Commuter Early Registration: $1190, must be postmarked by May 11th
- 7:30-8:30am - BREAKFAST
- 8:30-9:00am - Independent warm-up (practice rooms)
- 9:00-10:00am - Theory or Improvisation class
- 10:00-11:00am - Theory or Improvisation class
- 11:00-12:00noon - Combo rehearsal
- 12:00-1:00pm - LUNCH
- 1:00-2:00pm - Combo rehearsal
- 2:00-3:00pm - Special topics class
- 3:00-4:00pm - Faculty Concert
- 4:00-6:00pm - HONORS REHEARSAL/DINNER/PRACTICE
- 7:00pm - Evening Concert
Questions? Contact us at (610) 436-2921 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Refund Policy: Partial refunds will only be issued after the receipt of a written cancellation notice. The Jazz Camp fees (Resident, Commuter, Early Registration) include a $200 non-refundable deposit/processing fee. Refunds will not be granted after the Institute begins on July 12th.