Golden Rams Marching Band
The West Chester University Marching Band is an organization comprised of 325 students.
Recognized as one of the premiere marching bands in the country, the "Golden Rams"
marching band has developed a tradition of combining quality music with contemporary
drill to reflect the latest innovations in band performance.
This organization represents the University at local parades, band competitions, and
football games. The band has also brought national recognition through its performances
at Eagles', Jets', Giants', Redskins', and Steelers' football games; World Series
games; performances in the Macy's and Boscov's Thanksgiving Day Parades; and the Philadelphia
"We the People Parade".
The University receives many benefits from this organization. As well as a powerful
recruiting and instructional tool, the band provides an educational setting for developing
instructional skills essential to a music education curriculum. Students receive teaching
experiences as instructors. Positive communication skills are encouraged and reinforced.
- Program Goals:
- Encourage students from all curricula to join the organization in order to sustain
and/or increase the quality of the band and color guard.
- Quality performances.
- Increase the organization's visibility and recruiting power through off-campus performances.
- Student involvement to develop leadership skills.
- Increase educational offerings.
- Develop pre-teacher training programs for student instructors.
- Reinforcement of positive communication skills and excellent performance skills.
- Ensemble Director: Andrew Yozviak
- Number of Members: 325
- Audition Requirements: Membership is open to all interested students.
- The Wind Musicians can audition for parts during the pre-school band camp.
- Percussion mini-camps are held on two different Sundays, one in June and one in July to introduce
the techniques program and audition for sections. All percussion members are sent
an audition packet prior to these mini-camps.
- The Color Guard holds two introductory mini-camps in July. The purpose of these one day workshops
is to acquaint you with our program allow you an opportunity to see firsthand what
it takes to participate in our program. After these mini-camps you will know if you
really want to be a part of the Golden Rams Marching Band.
- Number of Concerts: The band performs for all home games, 1 or 2 away games, and 4-5 exhibitions each
season. These exhibition appearances include the Cavalcade of Bands, Tournament of
Bands, and USSBA marching band championships. In addition the band supports the community
by participating in the Halloween and Holiday parades.
- Rehearsals: The band rehearses every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 3:15-5:15pm. A pre-school
band camp is held the Tuesday - Saturday, before school begins. One credit is available
- Samples of Past Repertoire: Each season the student leadership selects a theme or themes for the season. Past
themes were: New York City Rhythms, Moulin Rouge, The Roman Empire, and Flight.
Learn More About the History of the Incomparable Golden Rams Marching Band