Golden Rams Marching Band
With a proud and distinguished history that dates back to 1889, the 324-member “INCOMPARABLE”
Golden Rams Marching Band continues to delight audiences with its innovative and inspiring
The Golden Rams Marching Band performs regularly at WCU football games, exhibition
events throughout the region, and special events for the university and community.
In addition to performances at National Football League events and World Series games,
the group has also twice performed at the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. The Golden
Rams Marching Band is proud to perform regularly at Bands of America Regional and
National Events. Most recently, the Golden Rams performed in featured exhibition at
the 2018 Bands of America Grand National Championships in Indianapolis, Indiana. This
November, the “INCOMPARABLE” Golden Rams Marching Band will be a featured act at the
100th Philadelphia Thanksgiving Day Parade sponsored by Dunkin’ Donuts!
The West Chester University INCOMPARABLE Golden Rams Marching Band has been selected
as the recipient of the 2019 Sudler Trophy! Presented by the John Philip Sousa Foundation,
the Sudler Trophy is awarded biannually to a college or university marching band which
has demonstrated the highest musical standards and innovative marching routines and
ideas, and which has made important contributions to the advancement of the performance
standards of college marching bands over a number of years. WCU is the first Division
II School in history to receive this prestigious honor!
For more information regarding the award’s history (and to see a list of past recipients),
please visit http://www.sousafoundation.net/default.aspx?ID=39)
- Program Goals:
- Encourage students from all curricula to join the organization in order to sustain
and/or increase the quality of the band and color guard.
- Quality performances.
- Increase the organization's visibility and recruiting power through off-campus performances.
- Student involvement to develop leadership skills.
- Increase educational offerings.
- Develop pre-teacher training programs for student instructors.
- Reinforcement of positive communication skills and excellent performance skills.
- Ensemble Director: Adam Gumble
- Number of Members: 325
- Audition Requirements: Membership is open to all interested students.
- The Wind Musicians can audition for parts during the pre-school band camp.
- Percussion mini-camps are held on two different Sundays, one in June and one in July to introduce
the techniques program and audition for sections. All percussion members are sent
an audition packet prior to these mini-camps.
- The Color Guard holds two introductory mini-camps in July. The purpose of these one day workshops
is to acquaint you with our program allow you an opportunity to see firsthand what
it takes to participate in our program. After these mini-camps you will know if you
really want to be a part of the Golden Rams Marching Band.
- Number of Concerts: The band performs for all home games, 1 or 2 away games, and 4-5 exhibitions each
season. These exhibition appearances include the Cavalcade of Bands, Tournament of
Bands, and USSBA marching band championships. In addition the band supports the community
by participating in the Halloween and Holiday parades.
- Rehearsals: The band rehearses every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 3:15-5:15pm. A pre-school
band camp is held the Tuesday - Saturday, before school begins. One credit is available
- Samples of Past Repertoire: Each season the student leadership selects a theme or themes for the season. Past
themes were: New York City Rhythms, Moulin Rouge, The Roman Empire, and Flight.
Learn More About the History of the Incomparable Golden Rams Marching Band