Making a Referral to the Counseling Center
There are various reasons why you might want to refer a student to the Counseling Center. Some examples include:
- When you believe a student's problems go beyond your own experience and expertise.
- When you feel uncomfortable helping a student with some issue.
- The student's problems are interfering with their academic work and experience in your class.
- Observations of the student's personal behavior raises concerns.
Students experience stress differently and sometimes their concerns can be relatively transient. If you are uncertain or have questions on how to respond to a situation, consult with a counselor in the Counseling Center about how to evaluate the situation and follow the most appropriate steps.
When making a referral to the Counseling Center:
- Summarize to them what you are hearing from them and how you understand their difficulty (For example, "It sounds like you are feeling really overwhelmed by all of your stressors and it's making it difficult to get to class.").
- Talk about resources and how the Counseling Center may be helpful (For example, "I have found that other students who felt that way have been helped by talking to a counselor at the Counseling Center.").
- When talking about counseling, it is important to keep in mind some of the negative reactions a student may have to the idea and be ready to discuss them.
- It can be helpful to explain what happens when they come to the Counseling Center and that counseling is confidential (parents won't know and it doesn't show up on their transcript!).
NOTE: Limits to confidentiality include danger to oneself or others, in which case proper authorities must be notified for the student's safety.
How to Make a Referral to the Counseling Center
Encourage the student to come to the Counseling Center's Triage Hours. During the Fall and Spring semesters, students come through our Triage hours (Monday - Friday, 1-3pm) to get connected with counseling services. If it is during Winter or Summer Session, the student can call to make a triage appointment.
If you are concerned about the student's safety, you can call the Counseling Center to consult with a counselor or walk the student over to the Counseling Center. It can be helpful to call ahead if you are walking a student in crisis over, in order to give the office a heads up.
The Counseling Center is open Monday through Friday from 8:00am until 4:00pm when classes are in session.
Any life-threatening mental health emergencies that occur after-hours are handled by contacting Public Safety at 610-436-3311.
The Counseling Center has a Clinical Case & Referral Specialist who can assist students with connecting to mental health resources off-campus.
Off-Campus Counseling Resources