The LARC offers tutoring in most 100 and 200 level courses. Prospective tutors must complete an application form and submit it for an interview.
Additionally, they must provide references from professors in the subject they wish
to tutor. Our tutors work anywhere from 5-20 hours per week, depending on demand for
the course tutored and personal preference/availability.
To apply, please complete the online application.
Please note the following: The online application will ask for two professors who could complete a recommendation
form for you. Please first ask your faculty members for permission before completing
the online application. The faculty members will receive an email with a link to complete
the form as soon as you submit your online application. A Word document version is
available here as well: LARC Tutor Recommendation Form
Qualifications - Peer Tutors: Undergraduate/Graduate
- Be admitted or enrolled in a degree program at WCU
- Have passed with a grade of A- or better in any course he/she intends to tutor (for
languages and some math courses, higher level courses will suffice)
- Undergraduate - minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA; Graduate - minimum 3.25 cumulative GPA
- Experience in tutoring, teaching, or conducting study groups preferred, but not required
- Two professor references (one must be in the subject you wish to tutor)
- Be able to work at least 8-10 hours per week, including attending CRLA Level 1 training
Benefits of Being a Tutor
- Get paid for helping your peers to succeed academically
- Learn valuable skills: Communication, small group management, leadership, time management,
study skills, etc.
- Flexibility - Schedule your hours when best for you - we offer sessions 59 hours a
week over 6 days
- Mastering material within your major will help you on assessments like the GRE, MCAT,
- Graduate schools value tutoring experience when admitting students and hiring Teaching
Assistants and Graduate Assistants
- Professional Development - Opportunity to gain College Reading and Learning Association
Level 1, 2, and 3 certifications, with corresponding increases in pay
- Opportunity to interact with peers across majors and schools
- Priority registration for tutoring at the start of each semester (yes, our tutors
Attention current or graduated tutors: If you are requesting recommendation letters from LARC staff member(s), please complete
the LARC Recommendation Request Form .