Are you interested in pursuing a career in physics o engineering or are already a physics major at WCU and are not quite sure what your career options are? Below you find resources on career paths, resumes and interviews as well as information on where WCU graduates have ended up.
Did you know:
- Most graduates don’t go on to graduate school:
- Physics majors score amongst the highest of majors on the LSAT and MCAT exams required for medical school and law school (Link):
- The starting salary for a physics bachelors is one of the highest of all undergraduate degrees:
Physics Career Toolbox: Solving difficult theoretical constructs, mastering hands-on experimental techniques, wrangling data acquisition and analysis, and developing skills in error analysis, technical writing, and computer programming are hallmarks of the undergraduate physics experience. These skills and abilities make physics students excellent candidates for a wide variety of jobs. If you are considering entering the workforce after earning a bachelor’s degree, the nine tools in the Careers Toolbox can help you discover your options and prepare for success.
Other Recommended Online Resources
SPS Jobs Browse job listings and resources for students seeking employment with a bachelor’s degree in physics.
Physics Today Job Resources Visit the Resources section for information on different physics career options, resume and cover letter templates, and advice on applying for jobs.
SPS Career Resources Explore physics career-related information, including profiles, advice, and links to related resources
Who’s Hiring Physics Bachelor’s? Click on a state to see a list of some of the employers that hired physics bachelor’s recipients recently in that state.
AIP Statistics: Skills Physics Bachelor’s Use Read the report, “Physics Bachelor’s Initial Employment.” Figure 4 in this report shows the skills used by physics bachelor’s recipients in their first job.
APS Careers Website Access a host of career resources including links to the APS Webinar Archive, Career Workshops from annual meetings, links to a professional development guide, and more.
US News lists up-to-date rankings and information about graduate school programs in all disciplines, including physics and a variety of subfields.
GradSchoolShopper Investigate graduate programs in physics, astronomy and the physical sciences.
Job Placements of Recent WCU Graduates:
· Network Analyst, High Performance Tech
· Network Analyst, Department of Defense
· Applications Engineer, Basler Technologies
· Medical Physicist, Veritas Medical Solutions
· Physicist, Solid Oxide Fuel Cells
· President, FBO Solutions Group
· Controls Engineer, CIM AutomaCon Systems
· Applications Engineer, IBA-Worldwide Medical
· Goldman Sachs, Quantum Computing
· Software Engineer, Comcast
Graduate schools where WCU bachelors have been accepted:
· University of Pennsylvania
· University of Illinois– Urbana-Champaign
· University of Delaware
· Bryn Mawr College
· Lehigh University
· Drexel University
· Temple University
· Vanderbilt University
· Virginia Technical Institute
· University of Colorado Boulder
· University of New Hampshire
· University of Oklahoma
· University of Oregon