The mission of the programs is to educate and prepare candidates, so that they are knowledgeable in the factors and issues which inform second language education, are highly capable instructors of English as a Second Language for a variety of learners in a variety of contexts including public schools (PK-12), and have the skills necessary to function as effective language and literacy educators and community leaders among diverse populations both within the U.S. and abroad.
Master of Arts in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL M.A.)
- Interdisciplinary graduate program administered by the department of Languages and Cultures
- Designed to educate and prepare candidates for a career teaching English to learners whose first/home language is not English and for pre-certified teachers who wish to develop their field-related expertise in the areas of second language teaching, curriculum design, assessment, language program development, and educational leadership and advocacy.
Certificate in Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL Cert. & ESL Program Specialist Certificate)
- An introduction into teaching English to speakers of other languages.
- Primarily designed to qualify pre-certified teachers to teach ESL in Pennsylvania public schools, in cases where a primary teaching certification is already in place at the time of application to the program
- Approved by Pennsylvania Department of Education
- Accredited by Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) and certified by TESOL Specialized Professional Association (SPA)
- May also be geared to prepare graduates for EFL or ESL teaching outside of PK-12 public school contexts in the U.S. and abroad.