Disposal Guide

Use WCU’s disposal guide to find out where to sort and dispose of items. You can also click the icon to see details on what goes where, and print a downloadable poster in your building or area.


Aerosol Cans – Any aerosol can that is pressurized/not empty is managed as hazardous waste by Environmental Health & Safety. Any aerosol can that has no pressure and is completely empty is garbage. Write “Empty” on the can and place it in the garbage.


Batteries – The Office of Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) will collect used batteries to be recycled. This recycling program is only intended for batteries purchased with University funds and used for official business-related activities. For more information on battery collection, storage, and disposal, click HERE .   Personal batteries disposal information from Chester County Solid Waste Authority: https://www.chestercountyswa.org/DocumentCenter/View/2636/Battery-Disposal-12292022

Biohazardous Waste – Biohazardous waste must be disposed through Environmental Health & Safety; click Here.

Books – (hardback vs. softback) - The University’s contracted recycling hauler can accept paperback books. However, hardcover books cannot be accepted because the rigid cover can be made with cloth, leather, or plastic, and the glue used to bind it is not easily removed. If possible, the pages must be torn out of hardcover books and placed in recycling containers while the covers are placed in the waste containers.  Little Free Libraries: English, 5th floor; Library, near Starbucks; 25 University Ave, on the upper floor. Donate to used bookstores: Second Reading "We accept donations every Tuesday-Saturday.  Please bring 2 bags or 2 medium boxes to our store 10 am until 4 pm."   https://www.facebook.com/wcsecondbook2/. Baldwin's Book Barn accepts used books in good condition. They do not accept textbooks or reference books. Please call ahead before donating, 610-696-0816.


Cardboard – Cardboard boxes must be flattened and free of contaminant before being recycled. Small amounts of tape are permitted. If you have six or fewer boxes, flatten boxes and place them next to your centralized recycling and waste bins for collection by Custodial Services. Small volumes/pieces may be placed in a recycling bin. Seven or more boxes, request pickup by Custodial Services by submitted a service request.

Chemicals, solvents, and hazardous waste – Chemicals, solvents, and hazardous waste are recycled or disposed of by Environmental Health & Safety; click Here.

Coffee cups and lids - Most paper coffee cups contain a coating for insulation and waterproofing, which makes them difficult to be recycled. Please dispose of your cup in the trash. (Cardboard sleeves can be removed and placed into the recycling bins.) Most lids cannot be recycled.

Coffee Pods and K-Cups – Nespresso Pods can be recycled through Nespresso. Find a location near you: https://www.nespresso.com/us/en/how-to-recycle-coffee-capsules. We are checking on Keurig cups with our provider.

Compost – Food Scraps and Composting: The Business and Public Management Center and the North Campus Garden have compost piles that accept small quantities of food scraps. There are signs posted noting what is acceptable.

Confidential paper documents – If your office generates a large amount of confidential paper you may request via work request to Moving Services, that a special, lockable Toter be placed in your office to accumulate the confidential paper. This paper requires special handling, and the Moving Services Supervisors will arrange for the paper to be destroyed by a certified shredding service.

Construction and demolition (C&D) waste – The University is committed to enforcing sustainable waste management on all facility renovation and new construction projects and shall make every attempt to salvage and/or recycle as much non-hazardous demolition and construction waste as possible. 


Electronics (E-Waste) – Any University-owned asset (i.e., computer equipment) can be picked up by IS&T Staff by filling out a request in the ServiceNow Portal. In partnership with PAR-Recycle Works, personal electronic devices can be disposed of in dedicated collection boxes – one located in Sykes, the other in FHG Library. Personal Electronics Flyer


Flexible plastics – Flexible plastic packaging is any packaging that is able to flex or wrap such as plastic pouches, wraps, and bags. It is the second largest packaging material in the United States. It is lightweight and made from plastic film and very thin layers of other materials like metal. WCU staff and students can now place it in recycling bins or containers. (link to PDF of Flexible Packaging)


Gas cylindersmore information coming soon…


Lab glass more information coming soon…

Lamps: fluorescent, other mercury-containing and incandescent - more information coming soon…


Metal – The University’s single-stream recycling bins can accept tin and aluminum cans, empty paint cans.


Oil more information coming soon…


Paint – more information coming soon…

Paper – Materials that are collected into recycling bins across campus include newspaper, magazines, envelopes, catalogs, file folders, copy paper, computer print outs, waxed paper, and paper bags. 

Printer/copier cartridges and components more information coming soon…


Sharps more information coming soon…

Styrofoam and packing peanuts – The University’s contracted recycling hauler does not accept Styrofoam or other foam packaging.

Surplus – The Surplus Property Manager and Facilities assist with the removal and redistribution of equipment and office furnishings which are unwanted but still usable. Ram Swap's goal is to enhance sustainability efforts and receive the maximum amount of value from a piece of furniture or equipment by finding re-use on campus. https://www.wcupa.edu/_information/afa/facilities/facilities-campus-services/forms/ram-swap/default.aspx