Academic Coaches are graduate students working toward a Master’s degree in counseling,
psychology, social work, education, or other related fields at WCU. Academic coaches
will work with a student on academic and life skills that affect their coursework
and their academic progress. Skills that academic coaches will work on include self-advocacy,
time management, organization, career planning, test-taking skills, study skills,
writing skills, math skills, stress management, learning style assessment, developing
goals and priorities.
- Audio Books: Companies like Learning Ally can provide many of your required readings as downloads to your computer.
- Etext: An alternative to written texts for students who need a combination of print and or
a more interactive text (larger font, more white space) or just the convenience of
computer based texts.
- Reading Technology: Programs like Kurwzeil and Read and Write Gold, which allow students to access etext
or online material (including teacher notes) in a more useful way. Some programs offer
notetaking help, built in dictionaries and the ability to listen to your own writing
- Dictation Programs: Nuance has a variety of options for dictation software.
- Notetaking Technology: Livescribe Smart Pens (among other programs) offer an electronic pen that records
lectures and allows you to upload notes to your computer for editing. The accompanying
notepaper allows you to keep track of your recording and create better notes. For
information about SmartPen maintenance and cleaning, visit the Livescribe website.
- Alternate Texts: Alternate texts aid students with disabilities who have difficulty accessing traditional
paperbound texts. Alternate texts are available in a variety of formats, most commonly:
PDF files, Microsoft Word documents, and in some instances, mp3s. The OSSD is dedicated
to ensuring equal access for students with disabilities. In order to be eligible for
alternate texts, you must have appropriate documentation through the OSSD. Please
use our alternate text request form to begin the process. You are required to use a WCUPA email address.