My research focuses on interactions between symbiotic fungi, plants, and the environment - endeavors that began for me as a kid exploring the Blue Ridge Mountains in southwest Virginia. Specifically, I am interested in understanding factors that influence: (1) ectomycorrhizal (ECM) fungi and (2) forest plant composition, health, and growth dynamics. Given our location in an increasingly populated suburban region, my research especially considers the impacts of human-related disturbances on ECM fungi and plants. Recent studies in my lab have focused on the influences of Amur honeysuckle allelopathy on oak-associated ECM fungi, the distributions and health status of ash and hickory species, and the impacts of Amur honeysuckle and spicebush on oak root growth. I teach Forest Biology, Humans and the Environment, Mycology, and Plant Communities courses.
- Jared Kline - Black walnut (Juglans nigra) status at the Gordon Natural Area
- Julia Amarant - Amur honeysuckle (Lonicera maakii) allelopathic effects on woody plant growth
- Jahmai Fisher - Evergreen tree diversity and structure of the WCU North Campus
- Zack Signora - White ash (Fraxinus americana) status at the Gordon Natural Area
- Kelly Ryan - Tree growth and mortality in forest habitats at the Gordon Natural Area
- Carl Cummins - Shagbark hickory (Carya ovata) status at the Gordon Natural Area
- Chagh Xiong - Host tree size and light influences distributions and size structure of Celastrus orbiculatus
- Kim Mazari - White-tailed deer browse selectivity and intensity in a forest restoration site
- Veronica Schrader - Garlic mustard extract influences ectomycorrhizal fungi from red oak seedlings
- Lauryn Levy - Macrofungal diversity at the Gordon Natural Area
- Rachel Stern - The status of White oak in a Chester County Natural Area
- Genevieve Pomeroy - Effects of exotic shrub allelopathy and light on woody plant growth
- Jon Klein - The street and alley trees of West Chester Borough
- Marie Schneider - Leaf litter, earthworm, and garlic mustard interactions
- Derek Bowman - Influence of conventional and organic farming practices on riparian plant diversity
- Justin DiPhillippo - Influence of garlic mustard allelopathy on ectomycorrhizal fungal colonization and communities from red oak hosts
- David Cambridge - Teaching biological science to students with emotional and behavioral disabilities
- Tara Shiels - Nutritional biology: using science education to address adolescent obesity
Seniors Kendra McMillin & Zach Signora presenting study at the Sigma Xi Undergraduate Research Symposium, Philadelphia.
Seniors Will Ricci & Kelly Ryan taking a break from the woods.