The West Chester University Annual Piano competition, now in its 30th year, strives to provide students ages 9-18 with performing opportunities, and raise the standard of excellence of young pianists. This is a national competition with no geographic restrictions. There are three age groups with up to five cash prizes awarded in each group. Information regarding repertoire requirements, award amounts, how to apply will be found below.
The Saturday, April 7th competition will be followed by a Recital and Awards Presentation on Sunday, April 15, 2018 at 3:00 in the Ware Family Recital Hall, and will include performances by the first, second, and third place winners in each age group, and must be attended by all Honorable Mention winners. Absences in either category will result in cancellation of the award. The first-place winner in the oldest age group will be granted a Dean’s Scholarship for study in the West Chester University Wells School of Music.
- Two pieces from the standard solo literature (Baroque, Classical, Romantic, 20th/21st Century)
- The two pieces must be from a different period and contrasting in style.
- Beginner level pieces are not acceptable.
- In the 16 – 18 age group a third piece may be added to meet the minimum 20 minute playing time.
- Pieces requiring anything to be put inside the piano, or on the strings, are not acceptable.
- No arrangements.
- A $100 non-refundable entry fee is required.
- Music must be performed from memory.
- Previous first place winners may reapply only in the next age category.
- Previous entrants may reapply, but not with the same pieces.
- No audition recordings required.
- Applicants must supply one publisher’s copy of each of their two pieces for the judges.
- No photocopies allowed.
- Applicants must be within given age ranges as of April 7, 2018 and may not be in college.
16-18 Years Old
- 1st Place - $1,000
- 2nd Place - $500
- 3rd Place - $250
- Honorable Mention - $100
13-15 Years Old
- 1st Place - $300
- 2nd Place - $200
- 3rd Place - $100
- Honorable Mention - $30
9-12 Years Old
- 1st Place - $100
- 2nd Place - $75
- 3rd Place - $50
- Honorable Mention - $20
*Up to two Honorable Mention Awards in each age group will be given at the discretion of the judges.
How To Apply
- Download and complete the Application Form .
- Mail (postmarked by March 2) your completed application form, $100 application fee (check or money order, made out to West Chester University), and two self-addressed, stamped envelopes to:
West Chester University
Piano Competition; Anita Greenlee, chair
Swope Music Building
817 South High Street
West Chester, PA 19383
2018 Competition Awardees
- First Place: Christopher Shin
- Second Place: Isabella Florendo
- Third Place: William Ge
- Honorable Mention 1: Anastasia Kudin
- Honorable Mention 2: Wade Wu
- First Place: Stephanie Petinaux
- Second Place: John Zhang
- Third Place: Xinlei Hao
- Honorable Mention 1: Michael Zhou
- Honorable Mention 2: Jonathan Xu
- First Place: Nicole Liu
- Second Place: Shane vanNeerden
- Third Place: Alexander Liu
- Honorable Mention 1: Kelsey Lee
- Honorable Mention 2: Chris Jung
For additional information, phone Anita Greenlee at 610-738-0452 (during office hours) or 610-692-3052, or email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.