The West Chester University Annual Piano competition, now in its 32nd year, strives to provide students ages 9-18 with performing opportunities, and raise the standard of excellence of young pianists. This is a national competition with no geographic restrictions. There are three age groups with up to five cash prizes awarded in each group. Information regarding repertoire requirements, award amounts, how to apply will be found below.
The Saturday, April 4th competition will be followed by a Recital and Awards Presentation on Sunday, April 19, 2020 at 3:00 in the Ware Family Recital Hall, and will include performances by the first, second, and third place winners in each age group, and must be attended by all Honorable Mention winners. Absences in either category will result in cancellation of the award. The first-place winner in the oldest age group will be granted a Dean’s Scholarship for study in the West Chester University Wells School of Music.
- Two pieces from the standard solo literature (Baroque, Classical, Romantic, 20th/21st Century)
- The two pieces must be from a different period and contrasting in style.
- Beginner level pieces are not acceptable.
- In the 16 – 18 age group a third piece may be added to meet the minimum 20 minute playing time.
- Pieces requiring anything to be put inside the piano, or on the strings, are not acceptable.
- No arrangements.
- A $100 non-refundable entry fee is required.
- Music must be performed from memory.
- Previous first place winners may reapply only in the next age category.
- Previous entrants may reapply, but not with the same pieces.
- No audition recordings required.
- Applicants must supply one publisher’s copy of each of their two pieces for the judges.
- No photocopies allowed.
- Applicants must be within given age ranges as of April 4, 2020 and may not be in college.
16-18 Years Old
- 1st Place - $1,000
- 2nd Place - $500
- 3rd Place - $250
- Honorable Mention - $100
13-15 Years Old
- 1st Place - $300
- 2nd Place - $200
- 3rd Place - $100
- Honorable Mention - $30
9-12 Years Old
- 1st Place - $100
- 2nd Place - $75
- 3rd Place - $50
- Honorable Mention - $20
*Up to two Honorable Mention Awards in each age group will be given at the discretion of the judges.
- Download and complete the Application Form .
- Mail (postmarked by February 22) your completed application form, $100 application
fee (check or money order, made out to West Chester University), and two self-addressed,
stamped envelopes to:
West Chester University
Piano Competition; Anita Greenlee, chair
Swope Music Building
817 South High Street
West Chester, PA 19383
2019 Competition Awardees
First Place: Effie Li
Second Place: Emma Liu
Third Place: Isabella Florendo
Honorable Mention I: Anastasia Kudin
Honorable Mention II: Kelly Lao
First Place: Sammi Li
Second Place: Elizabeth Yang
Place: Alyssa Gabrilovich
Honorable Mention I: Thomas Hsu
Honorable Mention II: Evan Lu
First Place: Chris Jung
Second Place: Hans-Derek Yu
Third Place: Andy Wu
Honorable Mention I: Jennifer Liu
Honorable Mention II: Xiaohan Zeng
PREVIOUS COMPETITION RESULTS
2018 Competition Awardees
First Place: Christopher Shin
Second Place: Isabella Florendo
Third Place: William Ge
Honorable Mention 1: Anastasia Kudin
Honorable Mention 2: Wade Wu
First Place: Stephanie Petinaux
Second Place: John Zhang
Third Place: Xinlei Hao
Honorable Mention 1: Michael Zhou
Honorable Mention 2: Jonathan Xu
First Place: Nicole Liu
Second Place: Shane vanNeerden
Third Place: Alexander Liu
Honorable Mention 1: Kelsey Lee
Honorable Mention 2: Chris Jung