The West Chester University Annual Piano competition, now in its 31st year, strives
to provide students ages 9-18 with performing opportunities, and raise the standard
of excellence of young pianists. This is a national competition with no geographic
restrictions. There are three age groups with up to five cash prizes awarded in each
group. Information regarding repertoire requirements, award amounts, how to apply
will be found below.
The Saturday, March 30th competition will be followed by a Recital and Awards Presentation
on Sunday, April 14, 2019 at 3:00 in the Ware Family Recital Hall, and will include
performances by the first, second, and third place winners in each age group, and
must be attended by all Honorable Mention winners. Absences in either category will
result in cancellation of the award. The first-place winner in the oldest age group
will be granted a Dean’s Scholarship for study in the West Chester University Wells School of Music.
- Two pieces from the standard solo literature (Baroque, Classical, Romantic, 20th/21st
- The two pieces must be from a different period and contrasting in style.
- Beginner level pieces are not acceptable.
- In the 16 – 18 age group a third piece may be added to meet the minimum 20 minute
- Pieces requiring anything to be put inside the piano, or on the strings, are not acceptable.
- No arrangements.
- A $100 non-refundable entry fee is required.
- Music must be performed from memory.
- Previous first place winners may reapply only in the next age category.
- Previous entrants may reapply, but not with the same pieces.
- No audition recordings required.
- Applicants must supply one publisher’s copy of each of their two pieces for the judges.
- No photocopies allowed.
- Applicants must be within given age ranges as of March 30, 2019 and may not be in
16-18 Years Old
- 1st Place - $1,000
- 2nd Place - $500
- 3rd Place - $250
- Honorable Mention - $100
13-15 Years Old
- 1st Place - $300
- 2nd Place - $200
- 3rd Place - $100
- Honorable Mention - $30
9-12 Years Old
- 1st Place - $100
- 2nd Place - $75
- 3rd Place - $50
- Honorable Mention - $20
*Up to two Honorable Mention Awards in each age group will be given at the discretion
of the judges.
- Download and complete the Application Form .
- Mail (postmarked by February 25) your completed application form, $100 application
fee (check or money order, made out to West Chester University), and two self-addressed,
stamped envelopes to:
West Chester University
Piano Competition; Anita Greenlee, chair
Swope Music Building
817 South High Street
West Chester, PA 19383
- First Place: Christopher Shin
- Second Place: Isabella Florendo
- Third Place: William Ge
- Honorable Mention 1: Anastasia Kudin
- Honorable Mention 2: Wade Wu
- First Place: Stephanie Petinaux
- Second Place: John Zhang
- Third Place: Xinlei Hao
- Honorable Mention 1: Michael Zhou
- Honorable Mention 2: Jonathan Xu
- First Place: Nicole Liu
- Second Place: Shane vanNeerden
- Third Place: Alexander Liu
- Honorable Mention 1: Kelsey Lee
- Honorable Mention 2: Chris Jung
For additional information, phone Anita Greenlee at 610-738-0452 (during office hours)
or 610-692-3052, or email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.