Program Selection & Applying
Program Selection Process
- Meet with your academic advisor to see what courses you have remaining to take as part of your academic requirements. Which courses might be good to transfer back to WCU? Which courses must you take here on campus?
- Browse the WCU Study Abroad Programs to see which program might be the best fit for you.
*Please note, some programs might not have their exact price or date range updated yet, you can always visit the Affiliate Program's website for more detailed information.
- Select your program of choice and start the WCU application for that program.
- For the International Transfer Credit Approval Form, you will fill out the courses you want to take abroad in the first three columns, then you will send this form to the correct WCU department for them to approve the WCU equivalent.
- AFTER you have completed the WCU application and gotten approval to study abroad, you may then proceed to apply directly to the affiliate.
Please email email@example.com to schedule a meeting or for any further questions about the process!
Each year WCU offers 25-30 faculty and staff-led programs, including for-credit and non-credit options (musical and art performances abroad, service learning programs, and sports team travel abroad). WCU also has several exchange partnerships with institutions around the world. The deadlines, application process, and costs vary by program.
We are currently partnered with 7 different study abroad program providers that specialize in creating study abroad programs for universities across the U.S. Our partner organizations were chosen based on their compatibility with WCU and therefore are often an academic fit. Please note that the program provider sets application deadlines and requirements that are beyond the control of WCU, and it is necessary to pay careful attention to all of their posted application information. To begin the application and pre-approval processes, students must first meet with a study abroad advisor to go over which program will be the best fit, then start the WCU application.
Our office provides support for 3 types of education abroad programs, faculty/staff-led, exchange, and programs offered by our 7 affiliate partners:
- American Institute for Foreign Study (AIFS)
- CEA Global Education
- CIS Abroad
- Institute for American Universities (IAU College)
- International Studies Abroad (ISA)
- The Education Abroad Network (TEAN)
- Semester at Sea
WCU Application Process
All students planning on participating on any Education Abroad program (WCU faculty-led, affiliated partner program, Non-WCU/Non-affiliate) are required to complete the WCU application first.
WCU Study Abroad Application Fee: $100
All students who apply for an international program will be billed a non-refundable, one-time $100 study abroad application fee through the WCU Bursar office. This fee is necessary to cover the costs of the services that each student is receiving, and to support all future international activities at WCU. Students that participate on multiple international programs while at WCU will not be re-charged this fee.
- 2.5 minimum GPA is the standard GPA requirement. However, some programs may require a higher GPA.
- Students are required to complete at least one full semester at WCU before they can study abroad.
- All students must complete the application/approval process in WCU's online system.
- All WCU students participating in a semester or academic year long program abroad must enroll in the course equivalent of 12 WCU credits per semester.
- Students are required to successfully complete a minimum of 12 credits the previous semester.
If you are ready to apply please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the name of the program you wish to apply to. Please keep in mind that submission of a study abroad application is not a guarantee of acceptance. Once you have turned in all of the materials required for your study abroad program, your application will be reviewed and a decision will be made regarding your acceptance into the program at that point in time. For students participating in an exchange or affiliated-partner program, final admissions decisions are made by the international program abroad and are out of WCU's control.
Some WCU faculty-led programs are available to non-WCU students, which will be expressed on the home page for that program. If you are a student at another University wishing to participate on one of WCU's study abroad programs, email email@example.com to receive information about the application process.