Students who currently receive financial aid at West Chester University may be eligible to use their aid to help pay for study abroad, however since every student has different amounts of financial need, students should meet with Christian Sanders in the financial aid office to learn about their unique financial aid package. Email Christian Sanders to learn more. You may also review the Education Abroad FAQ document .
- November 15th - Winter, Spring Semester, Spring Break
- March 1st - Summer
- March 15th - Fall Semester/Academic Year
Global Engagement Office Travel Award
West Chester University's Global Engagement Office (GEO) is proud to offer students the opportunity to apply for the GEO Study Abroad Travel Awards each year. Awards ranging in the amount of $200-$750 (short-term programs) or $500-$1,500 (semester-long or full-year programs) will be given to selected students participating in approved study abroad programs. West Chester University's Strategic Plan, Building on Excellence, has made the objective to increase the international educational opportunities for students a top priority.
WCU Global Rams Initiative Scholarship for Study Abroad*
West Chester University's Global Engagement Office (GEO), in collaboration with President Christopher Fiorentino, is proud to offer under-represented minority students the opportunity to apply for the Global Rams Initiative Scholarship. Scholarships will be given to selected students participating in approved study abroad programs that have been granted the Global Rams Designation (see list of GRI Designated programs below). West Chester University's Strategic Plan, Building on Excellence, has made the objective to increase the international educational opportunities for students a top priority.
*This scholarship is only open to Underrepresented Minority Student (URM), as defined by the EdTrust Access to Success: URM includes any student who self-identifies as Black, Native American/Alaskan, Latino/Hispanic, Hawaiian/Pacific Islander, or multiracial including one or more of the race/ethnicities listed.
NOTE: If you identify as an underrepresented minority student (URM) but do not meet the definition above, you may still submit an application for this scholarship. Preference will be given to applicants who meet the definition of URM listed above, but other applicants of color may be considered depending on the availability of funds. You are also encouraged to see other scholarships/funding opportunities available to WCU students on the GEO website.
Lawrence A. Dowdy Endowment Study Abroad Scholarship
The Lawrence A. Dowdy Endowment Study Abroad Scholarship was established on October 21, 2016 in honor of Lawrence A. Dowdy for his years of devoted service to West Chester University. The endowment supports programs that provide student leaders with the skill set they need to model servant leadership and operationalize the concepts of diversity, inclusion, and civility. This endowment is designed to increase international education opportunities for multicultural students. The scholarship provides awards ranging from $400 - $1000 for a multicultural student to reduce program expenses.
James McErlane Scholarship for Study Abroad
The James McErlane Scholarship supports students with evidence of high academic performance, demonstrated financial need, and academic purpose of studying abroad.
- The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship offers grants for qualifying U.S. citizen, undergraduate students of limited financial means to pursue academic studies or credit-bearing, career-oriented internships abroad and gives away millions of dollars per year.
- The Fund for Education Abroad is another excellent organization offering scholarships for students with demonstrated need.
- The Asia Institute's Scholarship Partnership with PaCIE is for students studying abroad in Asia.
- Diversity Abroad – Underrepresented students in study abroad
- Boren Awards- Less commonly taught languages and more
- DAAD- For Study in Germany
- Freeman- ASIA- For East or Southeast Asia
- Generation Study Abroad WCU is committed to doubling study abroad participation by the end of the decade as a committed partner of Generation Study Abroad. Some of our partners have scholarships only available to committed partners; please contact the program provider to see about availability.
- Generation Study Abroad Excellence and Travel Awards – Only for study in New Zealand