This website explains upcoming changes to RamCloud, why we are making changes, what will change, timeline for these changes, and opportunities for upcoming and on-demand training, support, and FAQs.
Information Services & Technology is fully committed to equitable access to technology including a virtualized software environment that effectively meets the emerging and continuing needs of West Chester University students, faculty, and staff. We are making improvements to our virtual software environment to meet current instructional technology needs. The upgraded RamCloud platform will provide equitable access to a complete virtual desktop, D2L Integration, Cloud storage access, and virtual classroom features.
RamCloud updates will be available early summer 2023.
Why Are We Making these Changes?
Our current RamCloud platform has been used for virtual software and desktop access for over 10 years. While it provides students and faculty the access to software that is needed, there are some drawbacks that make it difficult to use. It requires a client to be installed on the user’s computer. Opening and saving files and submitting them to D2L can be confusing. Faculty have no access to a student's work other than the output.
The next generation RamCloud platform will use state-of-the-art techniques so that all users have a great experience streaming apps from Windows, Mac or Linux operating systems straight to a student’s browser on any device, plug and play integration with university Learning Management System D2L, simplify management tasks, quick and efficient access to university storage platforms including OneDrive and GoogleDrive, reduce lags, lower total cost of ownership and enhance security.
Information Services & Technology is fully committed to equitable access to technology including a virtualized software environment that effectively meets the emerging and continuing needs of West Chester University students, faculty, and staff.
What Will Change?
A New Look
- The login page will have an updated look
- You will continue to access RamCloud using your WCU username and password
- You will select and launch a pre-configured full virtual desktop (instead of selecting specific software apps)
New Features include:
- Apps and Desktops will launch directly in your browser. You will no longer need to download or install any additional software.
- Connect to your OneDrive/Google Drive cloud storage with Cloud Mounter from within your RamCloud virtual desktop (instead of configuring it at a separate site)
- Easy to use Upload/Download Buttons for file transfer
- You will have the option to save files directly to your RamCloud virtual desktop
- You will be able to upload and download files directly to/from D2L from your RamCloud virtual desktop
- Faculty will have the ability to add a virtual desktop to D2L courses
- Faculty will have many new features available such as Virtual Classroom and Screenshare with students
What Will Stay the Same?
- When the updates are complete, you will still go to https://ramcloud.wcupa.edu/ to sign in.
- Virtual software and desktops will still be available on any platform, Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android. Virtual software and desktops will now also be available on ChromeOS.
- All of the 30+ software titles that are available in RamCloud, will remain available after the updates.
- You will still be able to access your OneDrive cloud storage from RamCloud. Additionally, you will be able to access Google Drive and be able to store files on your RamCloud desktop for the entire semester.
Equitable Access to Technology
A student with a Chromebook has the same experience with the software as a student with a high-end gaming computer.
The new RamCloud virtual desktop can be added directly to a D2L course as an external resource. Students can submit assignments directly from their virtual desktop.
Faculty will be able to drop in on active student software sessions to guide and support coursework.
Cloud Storage Integration
Connect to OneDrive/Google cloud storage with Cloud Mounter from within your virtual desktop.
|Phase I||Start Date||End Date||Status|
|Pilot||February 2023||March 2023||COMPLETED|
|Upgrade Configuration||March 2023||May 2023||COMPLETED|
|Phase II||Start Date||End Date||Status|
|Beta Testing - Faculty & Students||May 30, 2023||June 29, 2023||In progress|
Cutover to new RamCloud Platform
(old Ramcloud decommissioned)
|June 30, 2023||June 30, 2023||Not started|
|Faculty Training||July 2023||August 2023||Not started|
|Phase III||Start Date||End Date||Status|
|D2L Integration||June 2023||August 2023||Testing|
|Virtual Classroom Features||June 2023||August 2023||Testing|
Check back soon to register for an upcoming training.
In addition to scheduled events, training for departments or programs can be requested via ServiceNow .
Support Articles & Tutorials
Vendor Provided Training
- Required Environment
- Accessing the App Store
- Using an App or Desktop
- Uploading and Downloading Files
- Using Shared Folders
- Mounting a Cloud Drive
- Copying and Pasting
- Printing a File
- Sharing Screens
- Using Messenger
- Viewing Analytics
- Using Multiple Monitors
- Turning Sound On and Off
- Saving and Restoring SnapShots
- Using a Persistent Virtual Machine
Getting Started with Apporto
Using Shared Folders
Mounting a Cloud Drive
Using the Virtual Classroom
Presenting to Students
Preparing for Synchronous
Configuring Desktop Features
Getting Started with Apporto
Logging In through D2L
Mounting a Cloud Drive
Using Shared Folders
For additional support, please submit a ticket via ServiceNow or call the IS&T Helpdesk at 610-436-3350.
Why are we making this change?
West Chester University Information Services & Technology continuously evaluates instructional technologies to effectively meet the emerging and continuing needs of students, faculty, and staff. IS&T is committed to equitable access to technology including a virtualized software environment that meets the needs of all students, faculty, and staff. Therefore, we are making improvements to our virtual software environment. The upgraded RamCloud platform will provide equitable access to a complete virtual desktop, D2L Integration, Cloud storage access, and virtual classroom features.
When will the changes take place?
The pilot phase of the upgrades began in January 2023. The basic features will be released for Summer 2023 and full features will be available in Fall 2023.
How do I access the new RamCloud?
The updated RamCloud environment will be available at the same URL: https://ramcloud.wcupa.edu
When will I be able to add RamCloud to my D2L course?
We will be working with faculty over the summer to add a RamCloud desktop or software to their D2L course for Fall 2023.
Will I be able to access my cloud storage in RamCloud?
Yes. After launching a RamCloud desktop, you will be able to use Cloud Mounter to authenticate your OneDrive or Google Drive directory. You can also upload to or download from your local machine directly to your RamCloud desktop. Additionally, you can directly download from and upload to D2L using a browser in the RamCloud desktop.