Sigma Theta Tau
Connected, empowered nurse leaders transforming global healthcare
Developing nurse leaders anywhere to improve healthcare everywhere
The Sigma board of directors has determined four strategic goals to guide the organization:
1. Grow in value for nurses globally
2. Recognize and promote nursing scholarship, leadership, and service
3. Expand and develop strategic relationships globally
4. Advance innovative and customized resources to develop nurse leaders
In 1922, six nurses founded Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing, today known as Sigma, at the Indiana University Training School for Nurses, which is now the Indiana University School of Nursing, in Indianapolis, Indiana, USA. The founders chose the name from the Greek words storgé, thárros, and timé, meaning love, courage, and honor. Sigma became incorporated in 1985 and is a nonprofit organization with a 501(c)(3) tax status in the United States.
Formed on Apr 17, 1994, Xi Delta Chapter is the 338th chapter established at Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing.
Potential members who meet our eligibility criteria are invited to join Sigma – baccalaureate and graduate nursing students who demonstrate excellence in scholarship and to nurse leaders exhibiting exceptional achievements in nursing. Please explore membership opportunities.
Please search the Sigma Theta Tau Chapter Directory to find us and join The Circle for updates regarding educational and service opportunities.
Current Board Members
- President - Michelle Kaulback
- Vice President - Nina Pulliam
- Treasurer - Nancy Barker
- Secretary - Danielle Yocom
- Counselor - Carolyn Meehan
- Leadership Succession Committee - Jean Byrd (chair), Cheryl Schlamb, Adrienne Wharry
- Governance Committee - Charlene Kirby (chair), Christine Thomas, Susan Cordero
- Research Committee - Julie Nair (co-chair), Nina Pulliam (co-chair), Michelle Kensey (co-chair)