Dr. Melissa Whidden
- Title: Associate Professor
- Location: Sturzebecker HSC 210
- Email: MWhidden@wcupa.edu
- Phone: 610-436-2935
As a professor, my goal is to foster intellectual growth in my students and to inspire learning. I bring my enthusiasm for exercise and health into the classroom and hope that it rubs off on my students. I actively engage in exercise science-related research with both undergraduate and graduate students and serve both my profession and local community. I am a fellow of the American College of Sports Medicine and board member for our regional organization. I promote physical activity in my local community by being a role model of health and fitness and working with our youth athletics board.
- Doctorate of Philosophy in Exercise Physiology University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 2008
- Master of Science in Applied Physiology University of Buffalo, The State University of New York, Buffalo, NY 2003
- Bachelor of Science in Exercise Science University of Buffalo, The State University of New York, Buffalo, NY 2001
- Ergogenic aids for improved exercise performance
- High intensity interval training
- Muscle physiology
- Oxidative stress associated with aging and muscle atrophy
- Basgut B, Whidden MA, Kirichenko N, Woods M, Erdos B, Scarpace, PJ, and Tümer N. Effect of high-salt diet on age-related high blood pressure and hypothalamic redox signaling. Pharmacology, 100: 105-114, 2017.
- Whidden MA, Basgut B, Kirichenko N, Erdos B, and Tümer N. Altered potassium ATP channel signaling in mesenteric arteries of old high salt fed rats. Journal of Exercise and Nutrition Biochemistry, 20(2): 58-64, 2016. (PMID: 27508155)
- Gocmez SS, Scarpace PJ, Whidden MA, Erdos B, Kirichenko N, Sakarya Y, Utkan T, and Tümer N. Age impaired endothelium-dependent vasodilation is improved by resveratrol in rat mesenteric arteries. Journal of Exercise and Nutrition Biochemistry, 20(1): 41-48, 2016. (PMID: 27298812)
- Berenbaum K, Bui B, Megaro S, and Whidden MA. Static and dynamic stretching and its effects on hamstring flexibility, horizontal jump, vertical jump, and a 50 m sprint. Journal of Sport and Human Performance, 3(4): 1-12, 2015.
- Thompson J, Reed M, Parker T, Tobin R, and Whidden MA. The effect of nasal irrigation on total exercise time, heart rate, and blood lactate during graded exercise in healthy individuals. Journal of Sport and Human Performance, 3(2): 1-11, 2015.
"A Six-Week Twenty Pound Weight Loss Challenge: A Study of Physiological and Psychological Outcomes, Implications and Recommendations" - $7575.00 Spring 2017 – Spring 2018. Status: Funded via the West Chester University Foundation
- Fellow of the American College of Sports Medicine, Summer 2018
- Certificate of Achievement from the Panhellenic Council, West Chester University, Spring 2016
- Honors College Outstanding Faculty Recipient, West Chester University, Fall 2016
- Faculty Academic Advisor Appreciation Award, West Chester University, Spring 2017; Spring 2015; Spring 2013
- American College of Sports Medicine, Since 2011
- Association for Writing Across the Curriculum, Since 2019