Melissa A. Reed
- Title: Associate Professor
- Email: MReed3@wcupa.edu
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school," Albert Einstein. College is so much more than a degree and classes, it is a transformative experience from start to finish. My goal is to see our first year (and transfer) students through their time at WCU and support them as best as I can until their commencement.
- Doctorate of Philosophy in Bioenergetics and Exercise Science, East Carolina University, Greenville, NC, 2011
- Master of Arts in Exercise Science, East Carolina University, Greenville, NC, 2005
- Bachelor of Science in Exercise Science, East Stroudsburg University, East Stroudsburg, PA, 2003
- Exercise as Prevention and Treatment for Chronic Disease
- The Role of Gastric Bypass in the Reversal of Type 2 Diabetes
- Glucose and Insulin Skeletal Muscle Metabolism
- Interprofessional Education in the Allied Health Sciences
- Reed, MA., Exercise as Medicine for Clients with Diabetes: Increasing Movement by Incorporating Strategies into Practice. On the Cutting Edge:Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, In review, Feb, 2020
- Davidson, P., Heinerichs, S., Reed, M., Grillo, E., Thomas, C., Sankaran, G., Curtis, N., Bean, N. Students’ Knowledge and Attitudes: An Interprofessional Education Workshop and Experience. International Journal of Health Sciences Education, 2019: 6 (1).
- Seffrin, CS.,., Cattano, NM., Reed, MA. Gardiner-Shires, AM. Instrument-Assisted Soft Tissue Mobilization (IASTM): A Systematic Review and Effect Size Analysis. Journal of Athletic Training. 2019; 54(7).
- Gavin, TP., Ernst, JM., Kwak, HB., Caudill, SE., Reed, MA., Garner, RT., Nie, Y., Weiss, JA., Pories, WJ., Dar, M., Lin, CT., Hubal, MJ., Neufer, PD., Kuang, S., Dohm, GL. High Incomplete Skeletal Muscle Fatty Acid Oxidation Explains Low Muscle Insulin Sensitivity in Poorly Controlled T2DM. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2017 Nov; doi: 10.1210/jc.2017-01727.
- Karpinski, CA., Saltzman, R., Oberholtzer, KJ., Anthony, JC., Reed, MA. Effect of a vegetable-based beverage on endurance performance following prior exercise bout. Agro FOOD Industry Hi Tech. 2017 March/April; 28(2) 30-34.
- Heinerichs, S, Gilboy M, Metz S, Reed MA, Harrison BE. Community Engagement with Older Adults to Evaluate Interprofessional Education in Allied Healthcare Students. The Internet Journal of Allied Health Sciences and Practice. 2017 Jan 11;15 (1), Article 2.
- Thompson, J., Reed, MA., Parker, T., Tobin, R., and Whidden, MA. The Effect of Nasal Irrigation on Total Exercise Time, Heart Rate, and Blood Lactate during Graded Exercise in Healthy Individuals. J Sprt Human Perf. July 2015; 3(2):1-11.
- Gavin, T.P., Ernst, J.A, Kehe, S.E. , Dohm, G.L., Pories, W.J., Dar, M., and Reed, M.A. Insulin sensitivity is related to glycemic control in type 2 diabetes and diabetes remission after RYGB. Surgery. 2014 Jun; 155(6): 1036-43.
- Bajpeyi, S., Reed, MA., Molskness, S., Newton, C., Tanner, CJ., McCartney, JS., and Houmard, JA. Effect of Short-Term Exercise Training on Intramyocellular Lipid Content. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2012 Oct; 37(5): 822-8.
- Reed, MA., Pories, W., Chapman, W., Pender, J., Bowden, R., Barakat, H., Gavin, TP., Green, T., Tapscott, E., Zheng, D., Shankley, N., Yieh, L, Polidori, D., Piccoli, SP., Brenner-Gati, L., Dohm, GL. Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Corrects Hyperinsulinemia: Implications for the Remission of Type 2 Diabetes. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2011 Aug; 96 (8): 2525-31.
- Gavin, TP., Sloan, RC., Lukosius, EZ., Reed, MA., Pender, JR., Boghossian, V., Carter, JJ., McKernie, RD., Parikh, K., Price, JW., Tapscott, EB., Pories, WJ., Dohm, GL. Duodenal-jejunal bypass surgery does not increase skeletal muscle insulin signal transduction or glucose disposal in Goto-Kakazaki type 2 diabetic rats. Obesity Surgery. 2011 Feb; 21 (2):231-7
- Monitoring Physical Activity and Nutrition Habits in Elementary School Children. WCU College of Health Sciences Student – Faculty Research Award, November, 2019 (awarded $1689.84).
- Exercise is Medicine On-Campus Initiative. PA Faculty Health and Welfare Grant. $1500.00. March, 2018.
- The Effect of Step Count Awareness on Blood Glucose in Prediabetics. WCU College of Health Sciences Student – Faculty Research Award, April, 2017 (awarded $1000.00).
- Melissa Whidden, PhD, Selen Razon, PhD, Melissa Reed, PhD. A Six-Week Twenty Pound Weight Loss Challenge: A Study of Physiological and Psychological Outcomes, Implications, and Recommendations. WCU Foundation Faculty and Student Research (FaStR) Grants October, 2016 (awarded $7575.00).
- The Effects of a 6-week HIIT program on cardiovascular risk factors in sedentary adults. WCU College of Health Sciences Student – Faculty Research Award, November, 2015 (awarded $1000.00)
- Mary Beth Gilboy, Ph.D., Barbara Harrison, Ph.D., Scott Heinerichs, Ed.D., Melissa Reed, Ph.D. An Inter-professional Collaboration between CHS and Coatesville Area Senior Center Educators to Implement a Fall Prevention Program with Community Dwelling Older Adults. CHS Dean’s Award for New Initiatives Promoting Experiential Learning to Enhance Faculty Scholarship In Support of Community Outreach Spring 2014 (awarded $10,000.00).
- Natural testosterone boosters: physiological effects on young resistance trained males. WCU College of Health Sciences Student-Faculty Research Award, April, 2014 (awarded $1000.00).
- Certified Clinical Exercise Physiologist - American College of Sports Medicine
- Level III Exercise is Medicine Credential - American College of Sports Medicine
- Exercise is Medicine Ambassador - American College of Sports Medicine
- Centers for Disease Control Certified Lifestyle Coach (DPP Program)
- WCU College of Health Sciences Faculty Collaborative Award (2016)
- Faculty Academic Advisor Appreciation Award (2015)
- Faculty Academic Advisor Appreciation Award (2013)
- WCU Honors Council – Outstanding Faculty (2011 - 2012)
- Mid-Atlantic Region American College of Sports Medicine
- American College of Sports Medicine