Frances E. Cleland
- Title: Professor
- Location: Stuzebecker HSC 212
- Email: FCleland@wcupa.edu
- Phone: 610-436-2145
I have been preparing future health and physical educators for 29 years. It is critical for our teacher candidates to gain both content knowledge and pedagogical knowledge so they, in turn, can help their future K-12 students develop health and physical literacy. I believe in translating theory into practice by providing our candidates with multiple field experiences during which they can apply their content knowledge within the K-12 school setting. I personally have several years of K-12 teaching experience, have served as a national leader in our field (President of SHAPE America), and have presented at international, national, district, state and regional conferences.
- B.S., Purdue University (1973) - Major: Health & Physical Education (K-12)
- M.S., Indiana University (August, 1986) - Major: Physical Education
- P.E.D., Indiana University (June, 1990) - Majors: Motor Development & Adapted Physical Education
- Promoting Critical Thinking in Physical Education
- Applying the Spectrum of Teaching Styles in K-5 Physical Education
- Cleland Donnelly, F., Mueller, S. & Gallahue, D. (2017). Developmental physical education for all children – Theory into practice (5th ed.). Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics Publishers.
- Cleland Donnelly, Mueller, S. & Gallahue, D. (2017). Developmental physical education for all children – Theory into Practice Instructor Guide (1st ed.). Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics Publishers.
- Cleland Donnelly, Mueller, S. & Gallahue, D. (2017). Developmental physical education for all children – Theory into Practice Student Study Guide (1st ed..). Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics Publishers
- Cleland, F. & Millar, V. (In Press). Moving green, going green: An interdisciplinary creative dance experience. Journal of Physical Education, Recreation and Dance.
- Cleland, F. & Mueller, S. (2018). The learning connection: The role of movement-skill learning in teaching developmental games. Journal of Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance, 88(5), 30-36
- 2016 SHAPE America Margie Hanson Distinguished Elementary Physical Education Award
- 2014 Inductee into the North American Society of HPERSD Professionals
- 2010 PSAHPERD Elmer B. Cottrell Distinguished Honor Award
- 2010 Willard W. Patty Distinguished Alumni Award, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN
- Society of Health and Physical Educators (SHAPE America)
- SHAPE America Eastern District
- Pennsylvania State Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance