Grants: Apply for Grants  with the FAFSA by the Priority Deadline!

State Grants

Pennsylvania State Grant

How to Apply: Submit the FAFSA by February 1st at PHEAA’s deadline is May 1st of each year--they will not review your FAFSA for grant eligibility if it is received after that date.

First-time FAFSA applicants must also file the PHEAA State Grant form, available on the FAFSA and at The form is completed online, and can be accessed at if the student did not complete it at the same time as their FAFSA form. 


State Grant and Special Programs

P.O. Box 8157

Harrisburg, PA 17105-8157

Eligibility Requirements:

U.S. citizen or eligible non -citizen

PA state resident as determined by PHEAA

High school graduate 

Be in an approved program of study that is at least two academic years in length. 

Not be in default or pending default on an educational loan. 

Students must be enrolled in at least 6 credits per semester in an undergraduate degree program

Students must make satisfactory academic progress in accordance with PHEAA policy

    Full-time students must earn 24 credits each academic year they receive the full-time PHEAA state grant. 

    Part-time students must earn 12 credits each academic year they receive the part-time PHEAA state grant. 

Financial eligibility for the grant is determined by PHEAA; other eligibility requirements (satisfactory academic progress, transfer credit monitoring, etc.) are monitored by the University.  Therefore, students can be quoted a state grant at the time of application, but then learn after the university completes annual reviews of their enrollment that they are no longer eligible. 


Out of State Grants

Some states have reciprocal agreements with Pennsylvania that allow you to receive a state grant while attending a Pennsylvania university. Reciprocal states include Delaware, District of Columbia, Massachusetts, Ohio, Vermont, and West Virginia.


Delaware Through the Scholarship Incentive Program, you may be able to receive $1,000 annually up to five years if you attend college in Pennsylvania—with a catch. The school you attend must be a nonprofit, regionally accredited college, and the undergraduate or graduate program you choose to study must be a program that is not also offered at the University of Delaware, Delaware State University, or Delaware Technical Community College.

Students must also:

  • Be legal residents of Delaware
  • Be U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens • Demonstrate substantial financial need, as determined using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
  • Have a minimum cumulative unweighted Grade Point Average of 2.5 on a 4.00 scale

Deadline: April 15


District of Columbia

The DC Tuition Assistance Grant (DCTAG) is paid directly to the institution and is equal to the difference between the in-state and the out-of-state tuition (up to $10,000 per year). Students must:
• Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
• Have been a DC resident for at least 12 consecutive months prior to the applicant’s first time in college (dependent students’ domicile is established through the parent)
• Have no defaulted status with federal student loans
• Have a high school diploma, GED, or high school equivalency
• Be accepted for enrollment in or working toward a first undergraduate degree at least half-time
• Be in compliance with Satisfactory Academic Progress as defined by the college/university of enrollment
• Be 26 years old or younger
Deadline: Application is open Feb. 1st through June 30th



The Massachusetts Assistance for Student Success offers financial assistance up to eight semesters in a four-year undergraduate program at any state-approved public, private, independent, nonprofit institution in PA that awards associate and bachelor’s degrees.

Students must be a permanent legal resident of Massachusetts for at least one year prior to the opening of the academic year and U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens. Students must also: • Be in compliance with Selective Service Registration requirements

  • Have no defaulted federal or state loans
  • Have no owed refunds on any previously received federal or state financial aid • Demonstrate financial need as determined by the federal methodology need analysis criteria
  • Have a documented expected family contribution (determined after completion of the FAFSA) between $0-$5,486
  • Enroll as a full-time (min 12 credits) undergraduate student
  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress in accordance with institutional and federal standards

Deadline: May 1st each year



The Ohio College Opportunity Grant is available to Ohio residents in an associate degree program, first bachelor’s degree program, or nursing diploma program with an Expected Family Contribution of $2,190 or less (as determined through your Free Application for Federal Student Aid [FAFSA]) and a maximum household income of $96,000. Grants range $600-$800 for full-time students attending PA schools.

Deadline: Oct.1 each year



The Vermont Student Assistance Corporation offers the Vermont Incentive Grant to Vermont residents who are accepted or enrolled full time in an undergraduate degree or certificate program in PA. One of the more generous reciprocal programs, students may receive up to 10 semesters of full-time grants until earning their first bachelor’s degree and in 2019–20, awards ranged from $850 up to $12,300.

Grant amounts are determined by financial need, total cost of attendance at your college of choice, and timing (applications are considered on first-come, first-served basis as long as funding is available). Students can apply using the link provided after submitting the FAFSA, or through the VSAC website.

Deadline: No published deadline, but awarded on first-come, first-served basis


West Virginia

West Virginia offers its residents need-based financial aid through the West Virginia Higher Education Grant  (up to $2,700 annually) that is renewable until the student’s course of study is completed (up to four years) to students who want to attend college in Pennsylvania. Eligible students must:

  • Be a U.S. citizen
  • Have at least one year of West Virginia residency prior to date of application
  • Have a high school diploma, GED, or high school equivalency
  • Demonstrate financial need
  • Demonstrate academic promise
  • Enroll at a participating institution (public or independent) in West Virginia or Pennsylvania as a full-time undergraduate student
  • Have not previously earned a bachelor’s degree

Deadline: April 15th each year


Back to top of page.