View Text Only Version

Master of Social Work

Admission FAQs

Contact Master of Social Work  

Master of Social Work

West Chester Campus

Reynolds Hall
650 Reynolds Alley
West Chester, PA 19383

Phone: 610-436-2664

PASSHE Center City

701 Market Street, Concourse Level
Philadelphia, PA 19106

Phone: 610-436-2664

Admission FAQs

Can I transfer credits from another graduate program?

West Chester University welcomes transfer students. Transfer requests should be put in writing with supportive documents and submitted to the MSW Program director, Dr. Stacie Metz.

Students who have completed coursework in other CSWE-accredited MSW programs should make an appointment with the program director to review transcripts and syllabi. Students who have taken courses in other graduate degree programs can transfer in up to nine elective credits.

I have been out of school for awhile and am not able to get academic references. Will my application still be considered?

We understand that people returning to graduate school after many years may not be able to obtain academic references. If this is the case, you must be sure to include references from professional or volunteer colleagues who are in a position to reflect on your potential ability as a graduate student of social work. This is even more pertinent for individuals whose GPA does not meet our requirements.

Can I take classes even though I am not matriculated into the program?

Yes. Students may take up to six credits (two courses) as a non-matriculated student with approval from the department. Contact Kyle Murray, the program recruiter, for more information

If I am not accepted into the Advanced Standing program, can I be considered for the regular two-year program?

Yes, there are times when applicants to the Advanced Standing program are referred for consideration for the regular program. Applicants should make it clear in their Personal Statements that they wish for this consideration.

Can I begin my coursework in January or over the summer?

Given the structure of the program, all coursework begins in the fall semester. The exception is for Advanced Standing students, who start their classes in late May.

If I am applying to complete my degree in Philadelphia, where should I have my transcripts sent?

Applications for the MSW in West Chester and the MSW at PASSHE Center City are processed at the West Chester campus. In addition to completing the online application to the program, have your transcripts sent to the Office of Graduate Studies and Extended Education. The address for that office is:

  • McKelvie Hall
    102 West Rosedale Avenue
    West Chester, PA 19383

Is an interview required?

In some cases, students are invited to campus for an interview. If needed, the interview can occur over the phone or via Web-based video.

I am an international student. What do I need to do to apply to your program?

Students from abroad must submit their applications and supporting documents to the Office of Graduate Studies and Extended Education no later than January 15 for admission the following fall semester. Applicants whose native language is not English must submit evidence of satisfactory performance on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) to the Office of Graduate Studies and Extended Education before application forms can be processed. A score of 550 is the minimum acceptable score. Information about this exam may be obtained from the Educational Testing Service. Registration forms must reach ETS at least five weeks before the test is to be taken.

The following documents are also required:

  • Completed application form
  • Official copy of school certificates
  • Official record of the TOEFL score, sent directly by ETS to the Office of Graduate Studies and Extended Education
  • Proof of Financial Support Form
  • Medical History Form
  • If a student is admitted to a degree program, US Immigration (I-20) Form will be supplied by the University

Additional questions may be directed to the office of International Student Programs and Services.

If I enroll in Philadelphia, can I take classes at the campus in West Chester?

Students who are enrolled in the MSW Program in Philadelphia must take required courses (51 credits) at the campus in Philadelphia. Students may take their electives (nine credits) at either campus.

Learn More about Admissions