Online & Traditional
The Post-Baccalaureate certification in Special Education is open to any student with a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university with an expressed interest in working with children with disabilities. All applicants must meet the requirements listed below.
Curriculum (24-30 credits)
Special Education Core (24-30 credits)
- EDA 514: PreK-8 Aspects of Transition or
- EDA 515: Middle/Secondary Career Development and Transition
- EDA 516: Curriculum and Instruction for Individual Learning Differences I
- EDA 523: Curriculum and Instruction for Individual Learning Differences II
- EDA 529: Communication Development and Assistive Technologies for Students with Disabilities
- EDA 542: Foundations of Special Education
- EDA 544: Classroom Management
- EDA 574: Assessment in Special Education
- EDA 582: Special Education Field and Seminar
Public school teaching in Pennsylvania requires certification. When you demonstrate that you have completed all requirements for certification, the Dean recommends you to the PA Department of Education for Certification. This section contains information on steps to take in order to be recommended for certification. In order to be recommended to PA Department of Education you must complete the following:
- A state-approved teacher education program including a student teaching or intern experience.
- Appropriate PECT assessments.
- Application materials documenting that all certificate requirements have been met.
Students already possessing a Teacher Certification in an Approved Area of Study
- Baccalaureate Degree from a regionally accredited college or university.
- Minimum GPA of 2.8 on a 4.0 scale calculated on the most recent 48 Credits of college/university coursework and 3.0 total undergraduate cumulative GPA. (If applicant possesses a master's degree, the GPA requirement applies to that degree.)
- When pursuing special education certification, applicants must have either completed or be working towards completion of a dual certification in an approved area of study (PreK-4, 4-8 and/or Secondary Area Content in English, Math, Science, or Social Studies),but may concurrently take courses in Special Education towards certification.
*Note-Evidence of Chapter 49.13 competencies must be met. If not present, or if coursework is deemed to not meet 49.13 competencies, additional coursework (to be determined with an advisor), may be necessary, and may include ENG/LAN 569 and EDR 550.
- Apply online at wcupa.edu/grad. If you need assistance call the Graduate Office at 610-436-2943
- Arrange to have one (1) complete undergraduate transcript and proof of a baccalaureate degree sent to the Graduate Office. The transcript should include the cumulative grade point average of all undergraduate work.
For further information contact Dr. S. Christy Hicks.