Online Learning at WCU
What is Online Learning?
If you feel you may have difficulties with some of the qualities mentioned, contact theOffice of Digital Learning and Innovation
to discuss your options.
Online learning has various definitions. At West Chester University, our online courses utilize the Internet and online learning technologies to deliver course content, facilitate instructor-student and student-student communication, as well as create rich, interactive, and supportive online classrooms and communities.
Taking an online course and completing a degree fully online is very different than going to a traditional classroom. In general, online students should possess the following qualities to succeed online.
- Be independent, self-motivated and self-disciplined.
- Be able to communicate clearly through writing.
- Be able to follow and comprehend course information through reading.
- Be willing to "speak up" if problems arise.
- Be able to think ideas through before responding.
- Be willing to collaborate with peers.
- Be willing and able to commit 5 to 10 hours per week per course.
- Be able to use the technologies required properly and effectively.
- Have practically unlimited access to a computer and Internet Service.
- Feel confident that high quality learning can take place without going to a traditional classroom.
Use this online assessment tool (eLearnReady) to gauge your readiness level for taking online courses.
Why Choose WCU Online?
West Chester University of Pennsylvania (WCU) is one of the top regional universities in the north and offers one of the best educational values in Pennsylvania and throughout the U.S. WCU is one of the only three Pennsylvania schools ranked in the top 100 Kiplinger "best buys" in American public higher education.
Our online degree programs offer flexible and quality educational experience that are accessible outside the traditional classroom.
Our programs are responsive to working professionals' needs and requirement. Students can choose to complete the program entirely online or through a blended format.
Quality Online Courses
Our courses are designed, developed, and delivered by the same experienced faculty who teach on campus. Courses are designed using updated pedagogy as well as state-of-the-art technology tools.
We provide a comprehensive student support system from enrollment to graduation. See Student Resources for more details.