Dr. Sami Abdel-Salam
Title: Associate Professor
Location: 516 BPM Center
Google Scholar: Dr. Sami Abdel-Salam Profile
Dr. Sami Abdel-Salam joined the WCU Department of Criminal Justice faculty in 2013. Prior to beginning at WCU, he worked as a Senior Research Associate at the Center for Drug and Health Studies at the University of Delaware. At the Center, he served as Project Director for a national study involving the implementation of evidence-based practices for substance abuse treatment in correctional settings. This research culminated in a number of significant publications in numerous criminal justice and substance abuse journals. His other interests include comparative penology and prison reform. His current research is focused on evaluating the Norwegian correctional system, specifically with regards to its humane and rehabilitative approach to incarceration. As a result of this research, Dr. Abdel-Salam has participated in multiple national and international conferences, including the Nobel Peace Prize Forum, to share his findings. He continues to work with Norwegian and U.S. correctional officials to promote the benefits of a Scandinavian approach to prison reform.
Temple University, Ph.D. Criminal Justice
- Abdel-Salam, S., Brewster, M., Bratina, M.P., Bradley, K.B., & Perone, J. (2020). Generation Rx: College Students and Prescription Drug Misuse. Abuse: An International Impact Journal, 1(2),45-60.
- Abdel-Salam, S., & Sunde, H.M. (2018). Enhancing the role of correctional officers in American Prisons: Lessons learned from Norway. Federal Sentencing Reporter, 31(1), 67-74.
- Abdel-Salam, S., Kilmer, A., Monico, L., & Visher, C.A. (2017). Building bridges in New Jersey: Strengthening inter-agency collaboration for offenders receiving drug treatment. International Journal of Offender Therapy and Comparative Criminology, 61(2), 210-228.
- Prendergast, M., Welsh, W.N., Stein, L., Lehman, W., Melnick, G., Warda, U., Shafer, M., Ulaszek, W., Rodis, E., Abdel-Salam, S., & Duvall, J. (2016). Influence of organizational characteristics on success in implementing process improvement goals in correctional treatment settings. Journal of Behavioral Health Services & Research, 1-21.
- Welsh, W.N., Prendergast, M., Knight, K., Knudsen, H., Monico, L., Gray, J., Abdel-Salam, S., Redden, S.M., Link, N., Hamilton, L., Shafer, M.S., & Friedmann, P.D. (2016). Correlates of interorganizational service coordination in community corrections. Criminal Justice & Behavior, 43(4), 483-505.
- Welsh, W.N., Knudsen, H.K., Knight, K., Ducharme, L., Pankow, J., Urbine, T., Lindsey, A., Abdel-Salam, S., Wood, J., Monico, L., Link, N., Albizu-Garcia, C., & Friedmann, P.D. (2016). Effects of an Organizational Linkage Intervention on Inter-Organizational Service Coordination between Probation/Parole Agencies and Community Treatment Providers. Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research, 43(1), 105-121.
- Monico, L., Abdel-Salam, S., O’Connell, D., Visher, C.A., & Martin, S. (2015). Using organizational strategies to improve substance abuse treatment for probationers: A case study in Delaware. Federal Probation, 79(3), 38-44.
- Kelly, C.E., Abdel-Salam, S., Miller, J.C., & Redlich, A.D. (2015). Interrogation as a social dance: How social identity influences perceived effectiveness of interrogation methods. Investigative Interviewing: Research & Practice, 7(2),24-41.
- Welsh, W.N., Lin, H., Peters, R., Stahler, J., Lehman, W., Stein, L., Monico, L., Eggers, M., Abdel-Salam, S., Pierce, J., Hunt, E., Gallagher, C., & Frisman, L. (2015). Effects of a strategy to improve offender assessment, case planning, and referral: Staff perceptions of implementation outcomes. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 152, 230-238.
- Friedmann, P.D., Wilson, D., Knudsen, H., Ducharme, L., Welsh, W., Frisman, L., Knight, K., Lin, H., James, A., Albizu-Garcia, C., Pankow, J., Hall, E., Urbine, T., Abdel-Salam, S., Duvall, J., & Vocci, F. (2015). Effect of an organizational linkage intervention on staff perceptions of medication-assisted treatment and referral intentions in community corrections. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 50, 50-58.
- Abdel-Salam, S., & Gunter, W.D. (2014). Therapeutic engagement as a predictor of retention in adolescent TC treatment. Journal of Child and Adolescent Substance Abuse, 23, 49-57.
- Gunter, W.D., & Abdel-Salam, S.(2014). Examining the relationship between therapeutic engagement and relapse and recidivism in adolescents. Journal of Drug Issues, 44(1), 22-36.
- Abdel-Salam, S.(2014). Examining the relationship between self-control and adolescent TC treatment completion. Journal of Substance Use, 19(1/2), 25-37.
- Friedmann, P.D., Ducharme, L.J., Welsh, W., Frisman, L., Knight, K., Kinlock, T., Mitchell, S.G., Hall, E., Urbine, T., Gordon, M., Abdel-Salam, S., O’Connell, D., Albizu-Garcia, C., Knudsen, H., Duval, J., Fenster, & Pankow, J. (2013). A cluster randomized trial of an organizational linkage intervention for offenders with substance use disorders: Study protocol. Health & Justice, 1(6), 1-11.
- Abdel-Salam, S.(2012). Self-control as a predictor of relapse and recidivism in adolescent TC treatment. Substance Use & Misuse, 48(1-2), 157-172.
- Chair of the Department of Criminal Justice Faculty Evaluation Committee
- Chair of the College of Business and Public Management Excellence in Advising Committee
- Chair of West Chester University’s Curriculum and Academic Policies Program Review Committee
- Member of the Board for Missouri Prison Reform
Classes Regularly Taught
- Introduction to Criminal Justice
- Drugs, Crime and Justice
- Comparative Criminal Justice
- Research Methods