Dr. Peter H. Loedel
Title: Interim Department Chairperson; Professor of Political Science
Location: BPM Center 557
LinkedIn Profile: Dr. Peter Loedel
Dr. Loedel is originally from San Diego, California and received his university education in California. After gaining degrees, he taught one year at the University of Utah and another year at the University of Puget Sound before coming to West Chester University. He is married with three children and lives in Downingtown. All three kids are successful WCU Alums. Go Rams!
- Ph.D. University of California, Santa Barbara
- M.A. University of California, Santa Barbara
- B.A. University of California, Santa Barbara
- The European Central Bank: The New European Leviathan?, 2nd edition, co-authored with David Howarth, Palgrave, 2005.
- Deutsche Mark Politics: Germany in the European Monetary System, 1999. Lynne Rinner Publishers.
- The Promise and Reality of European Security Cooperation, co-edited with Mary McKenzie, 1998, Praeger Publishers.
Dr. Loedel has also published numerous articles in leading journals, and book chapters on the subject of European monetary politics as well as teaching/pedagogy in the field of international relations. His most recent publication focuses on the impact of gender on attitudes toward European monetary union and the Euro. The article, co-authored with Dr. Susan Banducci from the University of Exeter, can be found in:
- David Howard and Amy Verdun, Economic and Monetary Union at Twenty: A Stocktaking of a Tumultuous Second Decade, (Routledge, 2021).
- Susan Banducci and Peter Loedel, “Gender and Women’s Support of the Euro,” in European Monetary Union at 20, Journal of European Integration, Special Edition, December 2019.
Community and Other Service
Leadership and service are important pieces of Dr. Loedel’s portfolio on campus. Dr. Loedel is active on campus via a number of service and committee projects. He has been involved in University Strategic Planning, Curriculum Agreements at the PA State level, Tenure and Promotion, as well as number of campus activities, including the Division of Student Affairs Leadership Team and the Friar's Society. He is also active and supportive of the Honors College and the Honors Service Project: Aid to South Africa. He has been awarded the Division of Student Affair’s Legacy of Leadership Award for outstanding contributions to student leadership at West Chester University.
For over five years (2014-2019) Dr. Loedel was the Director for the Global Engagement Office and Assistant Vice President of International Programs at West Chester University. Dr. Loedel is an active campus leader in terms of study abroad, curriculum internationalization, and recruiting international students and faculty. If you are interested in study abroad, please contact him directly!
Classes Regularly Taught
- PSC 213 International Relations
- PSC 240 Comparative Politics
- GST 110 Introduction to Global Studies
- PSC 315 European Politics
- PSC 318 International Political Economy
- PSC 320 US Foreign Policy
- PSC 348 African Politics
- The European Union Simulation
Dr. Loedel led the University’s efforts to develop the Global Studies Minor as well as the first Pathway Certificate Program on Global Awareness. Students now can minor in and/or earn a Certificate in Global Studies.