West chester university Payroll office - 

STudent Payroll Services

Student Payroll Services

is part of the larger Payroll Office of West Chester University which is a dedicated team of professionals committed to paying university employees on-time and accurately, providing university employees with reliable, responsive, and timely customer service, retaining knowledgeable staff who understand payroll processes from start to finish, utilizing technology effectively in the operation of the payroll function and supporting the University in its efforts to achieve its mission.


Student Payroll Announcements

Please use the Student Payroll Email (PayrollStudent@wcupa.edu) to address any inquiries, documents, timesheets or issues. This email is the most effective way to communicate with the Payroll Office. 


Quick Links

Additional Resources

eTime - Help and Resources

eTime is the PASSHE time reporting system utilized for hourly employee.

  • eTime is accessed via the Employee Self Service Portal
  • eTime Help is available for Students at https://etime.Passhe.edu/help

Student Employee Hiring

Step 1 Apply for a Position
  1. On Campus and Federal Work Study positions are posted on the university's job portal Handshake.
  2. For assistance or guidance, contact the Twardowski Career Development Center or visit their website.
  3. Once selected for a position, the Hiring Manager will notify Student Payroll.
Step 2 Complete hiring paperwork
  1. Student employees will be sent hiring paperwork to their student email address via DocuSign.
  2. Students receiving Federal Work Study will also need to complete the FWS Contract for the position.
  3. First time employees will need to complete:
    1. I-9 verification form to establish identity and eligibility to work.
    2. Provide copy of Social Security Card.
    3. Complete the 'Provisional Employment Form' which will authorize the university to conduct background checks.
Step 3 Complete Background Checks
  1. A separate email will be sent to the student email account for the background checks.
  2. Failure to complete the background checks in a timely manner will result in separation from Payroll. 
Step 4 Complete I-9 Verification
  1. Within 3 days of starting employment, first time student employees must provide - IN PERSON - the documents used to complete the I-9 form.
  2. To schedule an appointment for I-9 verification, click here.


Job Opportunities at West Chester University

Students jobs are posted via Handshake, the university's online portal for student employment.  Students can apply for both non-Federal Work Study and Federal Work Study positions.

Students should visit the Twardowski Career Development Center for additional information and resources regarding employment at West Chester University.

For other employment opportunities at West Chester University, view posted positions on the university's Career Opportunities board.

Frequently Asked Questions

I do not have a copy of my Social Security card - can I still work?

A government issued Social Security Number (SSN) is required in order to work. The Student Payroll office will NOT process your hiring paperwork if a SSN is not provided.

Instructions on replacing or obtaining a Social Security Card can be found at the Social Security website maintained by the US Government. You can obtain a new or replacement card at no cost from Social Security. 

Visit the US Government's Social Security website for more information on Social Security. 

For International Students
Currently, Social Security Numbers are only issued to non-residents who have an employment offer. Once you have received a job offer, you may apply - visit the International Students website to review their guidance for International Students to apply for a SSN. Student Payroll can process your hiring paperwork once you have received notification of your SSN. A letter from the Social Security Administration can be submitted as proof of your SSN; you do not need to wait until a physical card has been given to you.

I am an International Student - can I still work?

Yes! International Students are welcome to apply for on-campus employment. A few things to note:

1) International students are limited in the number of hours they may work during the semester, as well as during summer and university breaks. 

2) International students are NOT eligible for Federal Work Study positions on campus.

3) Working without proper authorization could jeopardize F-1 status.

Please visit the Global Engagement Office website for more details on On-Campus Employment. You may also contact Global Engagement at 610-436-3515 or International@wcupa.edu.

What is an I-9 form? What documents can I use for I-9 verification?

Form I-9 is used to verify the identity and employment authorization of individuals hired for employment in the United States. All U.S. employers must properly complete Form I-9 for each individual they hire for employment in the United States. This includes citizens and noncitizens. Both employees and employers (or authorized representatives of the employer) must complete the form.

Employees must provide documentation to their employers to show their identity and authorization to work. 

List A Documents establish both identity and eligibility
List B Documents establish identity, while List C Documents establish eligibility. Both must be presented together for I-9 verification.
List A List B + List C
List A Documents establish both identity and eligibility - common options include:
  • US Passport or US Passport Card
  • Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card or Alien Registration Receipt Card
  • Form I-766, Employment Authorization Document Card
List B Documents establish identify - common options include:
  • Driver's License
  • School ID with a photograph
  • US Military Card


List C Documents establish eligibility - common options include:
  • US Social Security Card
  • Native American tribal document
  • Form I-197, U.S. Citizen ID Card
  • Form I-179, Identification Card for Use of Resident Citizen in the United States

For a full list of acceptable documents, visit the US Citizenship and Immigration Services list of acceptable documents.

Visit the US Citizenship and Immigration Services website for more information on Employment Eligibility and I-9 verification.

How do I complete the I-9 verification process?

Any I-9 documentation submitted to Student Payroll must be authenticated - in person - within 3 days of your employment start.

You may book an appointment here. You must bring the originals that you used to submit your hiring paperwork.

Why must I complete a background check for employment? What does it involve?

All prospective university employees must complete background clearance checks:
  • Department of Human Services Child Abuse History Clearance
  • Pennsylvania State Police Request for Criminal Records Check
  • Federal Criminal History Record Information (CHRI)

If you have any questions about the process, contact the Compliance team.


What is a Voided Check? Why is it needed?

A voided check is a paper check that the account holder has written 'Void' across. Banks will not process a voided check.

Voided Check

A voided check will be used to confirm the Routing and Account numbers for a Direct Deposit request.


Back to top of page.