View Text Only Version

Sexual Misconduct

Reporting Options

Contact Sexual Misconduct  

Sexual Misconduct

13/15 University Avenue
West Chester, PA 19383

Phone: 610-436-2433
Fax: 610-436-3164

Lynn Klingensmith, Title IX Coordinator

Reporting Options

West Chester University strongly encourages prompt reporting of sexual offenses to the police but recognizes that people who experience sexual misconduct have the right to decide whether to file a criminal report with the police, a complaint with the University, an anonymous report, or no report at all. 

Here are a few things to know about filing a report:

  • Anyone can file a report whether they are a complaint, witness, or concerned third party.
  • Complainants have the option to file both a criminal report with the police and a report with the University (
  • A complainant has the right to request a victim advocate to go with them when filing a report with the police or with the University. Call the Crime Victims’ Center of Chester County to request a victim advocate (610-692-7273).
  • The intentional filing of a false report will not be tolerated. It is a violation of the Student Code of Conduct to make an intentionally false report of any policy violation, and it may also violate state criminal laws and civil defamation laws.

Amnesty and Reporting

  • A complainant or witness who is under the influence of alcohol or drugs at the time of a sexual misconduct incident generally will not face disciplinary charges from the University or from the Department of Public Safety for underage drinking or drug use.


To file a police report

Those who want to pursue criminal charges against an accused(s) should contact the Department of Public Safety (610-436-3311), or contact the police in the area where the assault took place. Criminal charges can be filed against any type of accused, including non-WCU members. Criminal charges of sexual misconduct are entirely separate from violations of the Student Code of Conduct, which only applies to WCU students. Filing a formal report with the police is necessary when a victim would like to initiate a criminal investigation by the police. Anyone who has experienced sexual misconduct may choose to pursue both criminal prosecution and University conduct processes. If the incident occurred off-campus, the WCU Public Safety will assist the complainant in filing the complaint in the appropriate jurisdiction.


To file a complaint for Title IX violation/Student Conduct Report

Sexual misconduct is a form of sex discrimination prohibited by Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972. A Title IX investigation is separate from a criminal investigation by the police and courts. Complainants of any form of sex discrimination, sexual misconduct or gender-based harassment are encouraged to report the incident to the Title IX Coordinator.

  • Lynn Klingensmith, Title IX Coordinator/Director for Equity and Compliance
  • 13/15 University Avenue
  • 610-436-2433

Sexual misconduct is a violation of the Student Code of Conduct, and as such a complainant may make a conduct complaint against a WCU student(s). A conduct hearing is separate from a criminal investigation by the police. The conduct process occurs after the Title IX fact finding investigation. Office of Student Conduct, Contact: 

  • Christina Brenner, Assistant Dean of Student Conduct
  • Ruby Jones, Room 200
  • 610-436-3511


To file an anonymous report

The University strongly encourages those who want to file a report on behalf of themselves or someone else to identify themselves by name, but anonymous reports will be accepted by anyone with knowledge of a sexual misconduct violation.

  • Submit a Sexual Misconduct Incident Report Form online. If you cannot complete the form online please contact Lynn Klingensmith, Title IX Coordinator/Director for Equity and Compliance, Office for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, 13/15 University Avenue, West Chester University, West Chester, PA 19383, 610-436-2433 or .
Back to top of page.