Affirmative Action - Equal Opportunity Policy
West Chester University is committed to providing leadership in extending equal opportunities to all individuals. Accordingly, the University will make every effort to provide these rights to all persons regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, and veteran status. This policy applies to all members of the University community including students, faculty, staff and administrators. It also applies to all applicants for admission or employment and all participants in university-sponsored activities.
All management and supervisory personnel are directed to adhere to our policy of Affirmative Action and to take positive, aggressive steps to ensure equal opportunities. This means, in particular, that management and supervisory personnel guard against unlawful discrimination in any personnel action, including but not limited to recruitment, appointment, promotion, training, separation, or terms of employment. Furthermore, management and supervisory personnel must take affirmative action to improve our utilization of those persons underrepresented.
West Chester University will take all necessary steps to:
- Recruit, hire, utilize, train and promote for all job classifications without regard to race, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status, or other protected class status.
- Recruit and admit students without regard to race, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status, or other protected class status.
- Base decisions on selection, employment practices, employee utilization, job training, career mobility, promotion, program operations and services provided so as to further the principles of equal opportunity and affirmative action.
- Create and maintain a climate free from discrimination and harassment of any individual.
- Create and maintain a climate free from sexual harassment of any individual.
- Make every effort to increase the admission and employment opportunities for qualified persons with disabilities.
- Assure that reasonable accommodation will be made for all the physical and mental limitations of qualified individuals.
- Assure that in offering employment or promotion to persons with disabilities, no reduction in compensation would result because disability, income or other benefits.
This policy is in compliance with federal and state laws, including Titles VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Educational Amendment of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1972, Americans With Disabilities Act of 1972, Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990 and Executive Order of the Governor of Pennsylvania.
Overall responsibility for the implementation of the affirmative action-equal opportunity policy has been assigned to the Office for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion. Any individual having suggestions, problems, complaints, or grievances with regard to equal opportunity or affirmative action is encouraged to contact the office at 114 W. Rosedale Avenue or by phone at 610-436-2433.
All managers and supervisors have responsibility for actively initiating this policy, which will include input into the development, implementation, and monitoring of the University's Affirmative Action Plan and Diversity/Equity Plans. In accordance with Executive Order 1979-15, "Performance evaluations for all supervisory and management employees shall include a rating of affirmative action, based on objective criteria regarding their implementation of the Affirmative Action Program."
Each individual at West Chester University is expected to help make affirmative action-equal opportunity a reality for all persons.
View the 2019 Affirmative Action Plan