Nicole M. Cattano, PhD, LAT, ATC
- Title: Associate Professor
- Location: Stuzebecker HSC 222L
- Email: NCattano@wcupa.edu
- Phone: 610-436-2250
I believe in establishing an engaged and authentic atmosphere that fosters young professionals to be critical-thinkers and difference-makers. Evidence based practice is at the core of all of my courses and clinical instruction, because it is a skill set that can be refined and used to elevate patient care throughout a career. I enjoy challenging students to focus on the "why" rather than the "right answer" in both the classroom and clinical settings. I interweave my approaches with passion and advocacy, and hope that students always feel connected to WCU, but prepared to go out and to make a difference.
- Ph.D. Kinesiology, Temple University, 2014
- MPH Public Health, West Chester University, 2004
- B.S. Exercise and Sport Science, UNC Greensboro, 2001
- Post-traumatic Osteoarthritis
- Biochemical Markers of Injury and Osteoarthritis
- Patient Reported Outcomes
- Short- and Long-term Effects of Knee Injury
- Evidence Based Practice in Athletic Training
- Seffrin C, Cattano NM, Reed M, Gardiner Shires A. Instrument-Assisted Soft Tissue Mobilization (IASTM): A Systematic Review and Effect Size Analysis. Journal of Athletic Training, Accepted August 15, 2018
- Herzog MM, Driban JB, Cattano NM, Cameron KL, Tourville TW, Marshall SW, & Pietrosimone B. Risk of Developing Knee Osteoarthritis Over Twenty-Four Months in Patients that Decrease Walking Speed during a Twelve Month Period: An Analysis of the Osteoarthritis Initiative. Journal of Rheumatology, 2017; 44(8):1265-1270. doi: 10.3899/jrheum.170093. Epub 2017 Jun 1. PMID: 28572470
- Cattano NM, Driban JB, Cameron KL, & Sitler MR. Impact of physical activity and mechanical loading on biomarkers typically used in osteoarthritis assessment: Current concepts and knowledge gaps. Therapeutic Advances in Musculoskeletal Disease, 2017; 9(1):11-21. DOI: 10.1177/1759720X16670613. Epub 2016 Oct 7. PMID: 28101145
- Cattano NM, Driban JB, Barbe MF, Tierney R, Amin M, & Sitler MR. Physical Activity and Quality of Life Relate to Changes in Collagen Turnover and Inflammation After an Acute Running Bout. Journal of Orthopaedic Research. 2017; 35(3):612-617. DOI 10.1002/jor.23250. Epub 2016 Apr 13. PMID: 27035929
- Cattano NM, Driban JB, Barbe MF, Tierney R, Amin M, & Sitler MR. Biochemical Response to Moderate Running Bout in Participants with and without an Acute Knee Injury History. Journal of Athletic Training, 2017; 52(6): 567-574. DOI: 10.4085/1062-6050-51.5.09. Epub 2016 May 17. PMID: 27186917
- Driban JB, Hootman JM, Sitler MR, Harris KP, & Cattano NM. Is Participation in Certain Sports Associated with Knee Osteoarthritis? A Systematic Review. Journal of Athletic Training, 2017; 52(6):497-506. doi: 10.4085/1062-6050-50.2.08. Epub 2015 Jan 9. PMID: 25574790
- Harris KP, Driban JB, Sitler MR, Cattano NM, & Balasubramanian E. Tibiofemoral Osteoarthritis After Surgical or Nonsurgical Treatment of Anterior Cruciate Ligament Rupture: A Systematic Review. Journal of Athletic Training, 2017; 52(6):507-517. DOI: 10.4085/1062-6050-49.3.89. Epub 2015 Jun 26. PMID: 25562459
- Harris KP, Driban JB, Sitler MR, Cattano NM, & Hootman JM. Five-year clinical outcomes following a randomized trial of ACL treatment strategies: an evidence based practice paper. Journal of Athletic Training, 2015; 50(1): 110-112. DOI: 10.4085/1062-6050-49.3.53. PMID: 25322347
- Driban JB, Cattano NM, Balasubramanian E, Sitler MR, Amin M, Glutting J, Barbe MF. Saline-Assisted Aspirations for Collecting Synovial Fluid From Noneffused Knees: Technique and Validation. Journal of Sport Rehabilitation, November 2013 TR(09). DOI: 10.1123/JSR.2013-0040. PMID: 24231733
- Cattano NM, Barbe MF, Massicotte VS, Sitler MR, Balasubramanian E, Tierney R, & Driban JB. Joint trauma initiates knee osteoarthritis through biochemical and biomechanical processes and interactions. OA Musculoskeletal Medicine, 2013; Mar 01; 1(1):3. DOI: 10.13172/2052-9287-1-1-383
- WCU Student Faculty Research Award – Cartilage Deformation and Running Forces in Females with an ACL Injury History. Funded $1,995 - July 2018.
- Pennsylvania Athletic Trainers' Society (PATS) Research Grant - Physical Activity Levels, Patient Reported Outcomes, Landing Mechanics, and Plantar Pressure Comparisons in Physically Active College Students with and without a Knee Injury History. Requested $4,100 – Funded for $3,300- June 2016.
- WCU College of Health Sciences Student-Faculty Research Grant – Physical and Mental Effects of a Competitive High School Wrestling Season. Funded for $925 – November 2013
- Temple University pre-doctoral fellowship Summer Research Experience Award – Biomarker Response After an Acute Running Bout in Participants with and without an Acute Knee Injury History. Funded for $4,000 – May 2013.
- PASSHE Highmark Health Care Program – Implementation and Study of Reciprocal Peer Teaching in a Graduate Cadaver Anatomy Class. Funded for $6,027 – December 2012
- WCU Special Provost Stimulus Funds-Biomarker Response After an Acute Running Bout in Participants with and without an Acute Knee Injury History. Funded for $5,000- April 2010
- PASSHE Faculty Professional Development Council (FPDC)-Effects of Intraarticular Corticosteroid Injections on Biochemical Markers of Clinically Effused Osteoarthritic Knees. Funded for $8,000. March 2010
- Certified Athletic Trainer, Board of Certification (2002-current)
- Certified Phlebotomist, Certified Venous Access Specialist Association (relative to research – 2013-current)
- WCU Research Day 1st Place Outstanding Poster Award (Advisor for D. Magee Poster Presentation), April 2019.
- Eastern Athletic Trainers' Association Graduate Student Outstanding Poster Award (Advisor for M. Breymeier Poster Presentation), January 2018.
- West Chester University Spotlight on Research Faculty Member Selection, November 2017.
- West Chester University Outstanding Academic Advisor Award, Omicron Delta Kappa and Undergraduate Studies & Student Support Services, April 2017.
- West Chester University College of Health Sciences, Faculty - Student Collaborative Research Award, April 2016.
- West Chester University Office for Student Leadership & Involvement, 19th Annual Leadership Award, Advisor of the Year, April 2016.
- West Chester University Outstanding Advisor Award, Panhellenic Council & Alpha Sigma Alpha, April 2016
- West Chester University Outstanding Academic Advisor Award, Omicron Delta Kappa and Undergraduate Studies & Student Support Services, April 2015.
- Eastern Athletic Trainers' Association Graduate Student Outstanding Poster Award, January 2015.
- Temple University Graduate Research Fellows' First Summers Research Initiative Award, May 2013.
- Eastern Athletic Trainers' Association Francis J. George Scholarship Award- Doctoral Student Scholarship Award, January 2012.
- National Athletic Trainers' Association Research and Education Foundation Doctoral Student Scholarship Award, May 2011.
- National Athletic Trainers' Association (member) (member #: 986719)
- Eastern Athletic Trainers' Association (member)
- Pennsylvania Athletic Trainer's Society (member)
- Arthritis Foundation (member)
- Osteoarthritis Research Society International (member)
- Athletic Trainer's Osteoarthritis Consortium (member)
- Osteoarthritis Action Alliance (member)