- Assistant Department Chair
- Professor of Psychology
- B.S., University of Washington
- M.A., Ph.D., University of California at Berkeley
Office Hours Fall 2018
- Tuesdays and Thursdays 12:00p.m.- 2:00p.m.
- Wednesday 9:00a.m. - 11:00a.m.
Appointments are strongly encouraged!
- PSY120 Multicultural Psychology
- PSY246 Research Methods
- PSY375 Abnormal Psychology
- PSY382 Developmental Psychology of Infancy, Childhood, and Adolescence
- PSY410 Research in Psychology
- PSY517 Adult Psychopathology
- PSY519 Child and Adolescent Psychopathology
- PSY559 Psychotherapy
- PSY740 Research Practicum
My research interests focus on the ways in which family relationships may influence
social, emotional, and academic wellbeing across the developmental trajectory. Currently,
in collaboration with Dr. Gans, I am studying how family environment is related to
one's ability to manage difficult emotions during the transition to college.
- Mishra, V., Niblock, K., & Shansky, C. (2014). Personality and Facebook Usage as Predictors
of Student Participation in Course Blogs, Psychological Studies, 59, 401-407.
- Roch, S. G., Mishra, V., & Trombini, E. (2014). Does Selection Measure Scoring Influence Motivation: One Size Fits All? International Journal of Selection and Assessment, 22(1), 23-38.
- Ford, M. T., Matthews, R., Woolridge, J., Mishra, V., Kakar, U, & Strahan, S. (2014). How do occupational stressor-strain effects vary with time? A review and meta-analysis
of the relevance of time lags in longitudinal studies. Work & Stress, 28(1), 9-30.
- Davison, H. K., Mishra, V., Bing, M. N., & Frink, D. D. (2014). How Individual Performance Affects Variability of Peer Evaluations in Classroom
Teams A Distributive Justice Perspective. Journal of Management Education, 38(1), 43-85.
- Mishra, V., & Roch, S. G. (2013). Culture and Performance Appraisal: Assessing the Effects of Rater Self-construal
on Performance Ratings. The Journal of Psychology: Interdisciplinary and Applied, 147(4), 325-344.
- Shanock, L. R., Roch, S. G., & Mishra, V. (2012). Why We Should Care About Exchange Relationships with Coworkers as well as Supervisors:
Both Fellow Employees and the Organization Benefit. Testing, Psychometrics & Methodology in Applied Psychology (Special Issue), 19, 1-20.
- Roch, S. G., Woehr, D., Mishra, V., & Kieszczynska, U. (2011). Rater Training Revisited: An Updated Meta-analytic Review
of Frame of Reference Training. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 85, 370-395.
- Johnson, V. K. (2010). From Early Childhood to Adolescence: Linking Family Functioning
and School Behavior. Family Relations, 59, 313-325.
- Johnson, V. K., Gans, S. E., Kerr, S., & LaValle, W. (2010). Managing the Transition
to College: Family Functioning, Emotion Coping, and Adjustment in Emerging Adulthood.
Journal of College Student Development, 51, 607-621.
- Johnson, V. K., Kerr, S., Gans, S. E., & Bierschwale, D. (2009). Adjustment to college
before and after September 11, 2001. Journal of the First-Year Experience & Students in Transition, 21, 93-112.
- Johnson, V. K., Kerr, S., Gans, S. E., & Deegan, K. (2008). Managing the Transition
to College: the Role of Family Cohesion and Adolescents' Emotional Coping Strategies.
Journal of College Orientation and Transition, 15, 29-46.
- Johnson, V. K. & Lieberman, A. (2007). Variations in young children's behavioral responses
to domestic violence: the role of mothers' involvement in children's emotional experiences.
Journal of Family Violence, 22, 297-308.
- Cowan, P.A., Cowan, C. P., Ablow, J., Johnson, V. K., & Measelle, J. (Eds.), (2005)a.
The family context of parenting in children's adaptation to elementary school. Monographs in Parenting.Lawrence Erlbaum Associates; NJ.
- Johnson, V. K. (2005). Family level processes in children's adaptation to kindergarten.
In P. A. Cowan, C. P. Cowan, J. Ablow, V. K. Johnson, and J. Measelle (Eds), The family context of parenting in children's adaptation to elementary school. Monographs
in Parenting. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates; NJ. (pp. 225-276)
- Kerr, S., Johnson, V. K., Gans, S. E. & Krumine, J. (2004). Predicting adjustment
during the transition to college: Alexithymia, perceived stress, and psychological
symptoms. Journal of College Student Development, 45, 593-611.
- Johnson, V. K. (2003). Linking changes in whole family functioning and children's
externalizing behavior across the elementary school years. Journal of Family Psychology, 17. 499-509.
- Johnson, V. K. (2001). Marital interaction, family organization, and differences in
parenting behavior: Explaining variations across family interaction contexts. Family Process, 40, 333-342.
- Johnson, V. K., Cowan, P. A., & Cowan, C. P. (1999). Children's Classroom Behavior:
The Unique Contribution of Family Organization. Journal of Family Psychology, 13, 355-371.
- Gottman, J. M., Kahen, V. J., & Goldstein, D. (1995). The Rapid Couples Interaction
Scoring System (RCISS), in J. M. Gottman (Ed.), What predicts divorce? The measures. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, NJ.
- Kahen, V. J., Katz, L. F., & Gottman, J. M. (1994). Linkages between parent-child
interaction and conversations of friends. Social Development, 3, 238-254.
Read more Faculty Profiles