- Office Phone: 610-436-3339
- Office Room Number: Wayne Hall 5th Floor Room 529
- Preferred Means of Contact: Email
Email Michael Gawrysiak
Office Hours Fall 2018
- Monday 8:00a.m. - 9:00a.m., 1:00p.m. - 2:00p.m.
- Tuesdays, Thursdays 8:00a.m. - 9:15a.m., 12:30p.m. - 3:30p.m.
- Introduction to Psychology
- Abnormal Psychology
- Trauma & Resilience
I am a clinical psychologist specialized in the treatment of depression, substance
use disorders, and posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD). My program of research focuses
on understanding how behavioral interventions, particularly mindfulness-based interventions,
associate with desired change among individuals suffering with disorders. I am additionally
interested in contemplative traditions and meditative practices promote increased
quality of life and adaptive emotion regulation.
- Gawrysiak, M.J., S., Grassetti, S.N., Greeson, J., Shorey, R.C., & Baime, M.J. (In
Press). The many facets of mindfulness and the prediction of change during Mindfulness-Based
Stress Reduction (MBSR).
- Dumais, K., Franklin, T., Jagannathan, K., Hager, N., Gawrysiak, M., Betts, J.,…Wetherill,
R., Sex differences in brain responses to smoking cues: Multi-site replication in
new cohorts. Manuscript Accepted for publication.
- Shorey, R. C., Gawrysiak, M. J., Elmquist, J., Brem, M. J., Anderson, S., & Stuart,
G. L. (In Press). Experiential avoidance, distress tolerance, and substance use cravings
among adults in residential treatment for substance use disorders. Journal of Addictive
- Shorey, R. C., Elmquist, J., Gawrysiak, M. J., Strauss, C., Haynes, E., Anderson,
S., & Stuart, G. L. (In press). A randomized controlled trial of a mindfulness and
acceptance group therapy for residential substance use patients. Substance Use & Misuse
- Reigier, P.S., Monge, Z.A., Franklin, T.R., Wetherill, R., Teitelman, A., Jagannathan,
K., Suh, J.S., Wang, Z., Young, K., Gawrysiak, M.,…Childress, A.R., (In press). Emotional,
physical, and sexual abuse are associated with a heightened limbic response to cocaine
cues. Addiction Biology.
- Shorey, R., Elmquist, J., Gawrysiak, M., Anderson, S., & Stuart, G. (2016). The relationship
between mindfulness and compulsive sexual behavior in a sample of men in treatment
for substance use. Mindfulness, 1-8.
- Gawrysiak, M.J., Leong, S., Grassetti, S.N., Wei, M., & Baime, M.J. (2015). Dimensions
of distress tolerance and the moderating effects on Mindfulness-based stress reduction
(MBSR). Anxiety, Stress, & Coping, 1-9.
- Shorey, R. C., Gawrysiak, M. J., Anderson, S., & Stuart, G. L. (2015). Dispositional
mindfulness, spirituality, and substance use in predicting depressive symptoms in
a treatment seeking sample. Journal of Clinical Psychology. 71(4), 334-345.
- Goodson, J. T., Lefkowitz, C. M., Helstrom, A. W., & Gawrysiak, M. J. (2013). Outcomes
of prolonged exposure therapy for veterans with PTSD. Journal of Traumatic Stress,
- Gawrysiak, M. J., Nicholas, C. R. N., & Hopko, D. R. (2009). Behavioral activation
for moderately depressed university students: Randomized controlled trial. Journal
of Counseling Psychology, 56(3), 468-475.
- Teaching Philosophy: I believe that the role of the teacher is to present course material
in a clear and interesting manner and to engage students in an interactive dialogue
about the subject to be learned. In addition to testing and lecturing on course material,
I believe it is essential that students develop their capacity to think critically
and to learn to evaluate information with a scrupulous, skeptical, and curious attitude.
My teaching philosophy therefore strives to encourage the development of students'
critical thinking and curiosity both within and outside of the classroom.
- My Advice to Students: Take full advantage of your university experience! Attending
college can be one of the most enriching experiences of your life! Talk to professors
who you find interesting, make friends, feed your curiosity, participate in extra-curricular
activities! Make the most of your time! Also....READ YOUR SYLLABUS!
Read more Faculty Profiles