Are there funding options for graduate students your PsyD students?

Yes. WCU offers PsyD students the opportunity to apply for funding through two mechanisms: the graduate assistantship (GA), which covers a portion of the student’s tuition in exchange for working in the research lab of the student’s research mentor or another campus location, and the teaching associate (TA) position (offered only to students in Year 4 and beyond), which provides a stipend for mentored teaching of undergraduate classes in Psychology. Both GA and TA positions are based on the availability of funds and after submission of a competitive application.

Is it possible to continue to work full- or part-time while working on my PsyD?

Full-time employment will not be possible while enrolled in the PsyD program because our PsyD classes are typically offered during daytime hours.  The PsyD program is a full-time, year-round program with required courses offered during the Fall and Spring semesters, as well as during Summer sessions. PsyD students will enroll in five courses (15 credits) in Fall-Year 1, Spring-Year 1, Fall-Year 2, and Spring-Year 2, along with Summer Session courses. In addition to the coursework, doctoral students will need to have schedules that are flexible enough to accommodate their clinical practicum training and any relevant research lab activities. Part-time employment may be possible while pursuing the PsyD; however, it would be to your advantage to engage in part-time employment that is relevant to the clinical psychology field. We strongly advise that students in the PsyD program minimize or eliminate any work commitments that are not related to their doctoral studies and training.

Is it possible to transfer directly from the WCU General Psychology MS program into the Clinical Psychology PsyD program?

No. A direct transfer from any MA program is not possible. You must apply for admission to the PsyD program and be considered along with the larger pool of applicants seeking admission for the Fall semester.

If I am a General Psychology MS student admitted to the PsyD program, will the faculty member identified as my MS thesis advisor be able to serve as my dissertation advisor in the doctoral program?

Yes. If you have a competitive PsyD application and your MA thesis advisor accepts you into their research lab as a doctoral candidate, then you will be able to continue working with your advisor through the dissertation process.

If I am in the General Psychology MS program, what courses should I take if I hope to be admitted to the PsyD program? (Fall & Spring)

The recommended courses for General Psychology MA students who hope to be admitted to the Clinical Psychology PsyD program are listed below. These courses are PsyD requirements AND they fulfill the MA General Psychology program requirements as well; courses with an asterisk will require permission from the Director of Clinical Training prior to enrolling. Note that 700-level courses (part of the PsyD program) are typically offered during daytime hours.

Fall-Year 1

  • Introduction to Statistics/Research Methods (PSY601)
  • Foundational Course – g., Biological Bases of Behavior (PSY605, 607, 608, or 609)
  • Adult Psychopathology (PSY700) *
  • Multicultural Clinical Psychology (PSY705) *

Spring-Year 1

  • Research Report (PSY600; Credit for this course will transfer into the PsyD program as an elective only if the research aligns with one of the two clinical specialty tracks, namely Trauma or Child/Adolescent Mental Health.)
  • Advanced Statistical Methods (PSY602)
  • Foundational Course – g., Advanced Social Psychology (PSY605, 607, 608, or 609)
  • Child and Adolescent Psychopathology (PSY701) *

Your research mentor may also suggest that you enroll in Graduate Research in Psychology (PSY510) to enable you to earn course credit for your involvement in your mentor’s research lab. Course credit for PSY510 will not transfer into the PsyD program.