An Important Announcement to the WCU Community from President Fiorentino
Dear West Chester University Community,
I write to share that I will be retiring in June of 2024, having dedicated most of my career to West Chester University and following what will have been 41 rewarding years in public higher education. It has truly been the greatest honor and privilege of my professional life to have served you — our students, faculty, staff, alumni, Council of Trustees, neighbors and partners, and all those citizens within the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Working together with all of you on our shared vision of student success, we have made a significant difference in the lives of many and have opened doors to generations of new student populations. For that, all of us can be proud.
Announcing my intention one year in advance enables the University to continue its upward momentum, while meeting its fundraising goals for our current comprehensive campaign, 150Forward, which benefits deserving students. With much to do during the upcoming academic year to advance the imperative of student success, we will focus our work on:
- Finalizing a three-year comprehensive strategic plan, entitled Reimagining Student Success, that will guide the University’s institutional growth and development in three priority areas: Enhancing Student Learning; Advancing Diversity, Equity and Inclusion; and Fostering & Sustaining Community
- Completing a facilities master plan that pinpoints new and/or revised use of existing land and facilities, including plans to identify and build additional University-owned housing
- Advancing our Moon Shot mission by moving the University’s work forward on a national student-success commitment to help underserved populations of students in the Southeastern PA region graduate from college
- Identifying increased academic pathways for transfer students and adult learners in the workforce
- Raising the remaining $6 million needed to complete the $65-million 150Forward fundraising campaign, a comprehensive campaign that is not about money for buildings but rather increased funds for students (i.e., student scholarships, student research, student technological needs, and student travel abroad)
Over the next 12 months, I will remain focused on our core mission to provide affordable access to a quality higher education to all deserving students and to stimulate these students’ thirst for knowledge in rigorous ways. The business of this University will continue to center on the very best interests of all our students. These are uncompromising priorities.
Chancellor Dan Greenstein has indicated that he will work with our Council of Trustees regarding next steps to secure the 16th president of West Chester University. Information will be forthcoming.
As we prepare to usher in a new academic year, I remain inspired by your extraordinary dedication to this special University. There will be more time in the year ahead to say farewell. Until then, let’s continue to do the critical work that our students are depending on us to do.
Chris Fiorentino, Ph.D.
West Chester University