West Chester, PA 19383
General Information: 610-436-2321
Candidate Services: 610-436-2999
Certification Information: 610-436-2321
Clinical Experiences: 610-436-3090
Deans Office: 610-436-2321
Professional Testing Center: 610-436-2413
All certified educators in Pennsylvania must complete 180 hours of professional development per every five years. The professional development must comply with the plan of the school district that employs the educator. The 180 hour requirement can be met with six college credits, six credits of continuing professional education courses, 180 clock hours of continuing professional education, or any combination of collegiate studies, continuing professional education courses, or other learning experiences equivalent to 180 hours.
The College of Education and Social Work at West Chester University is an approved provider of continuing education for K-12 teachers in compliance with Act 48 legislation. The University offers Act 48 credit for workshops, seminars, conferences, and other educational activities. Credit-bearing courses automatically qualify for Act 48 credit through the University.
K-12 Educators can request hours/credits for a credit-bearing course taken at West Chester University through the following process:
After completing a course at West Chester University for which you wish to receive
Act 48 credit, visit EduLink.
Click Professional Educator.
Click Register (for first-time users) or Log In (for returning users).
Click Request Submission of Credits/Hours.
Enter the requested information about the class.
Your request will be sent to West Chester University. The Registrar's Office will verify that the hours and credits were satisfactorily completed. The University will submit the verified hours/credits to the PA Department of Education Records Management site. You may check your Act 48 progress by visiting the online Act 48 Professional Education Record Management System and entering your Social Security Number.
Please contact the Registrar's Office for further assistance regarding Act 48 credit for coursework at West Chester University
West Chester University faculty can propose Act 48 credits for non-credit bearing activities.
PDE requires the College of Education and Social Work to submit a three-year plan outlining activities sponsored during that time. Activities must receive approval by the Act 48 Committee as part of the Council for Professional Education (CPE) at West Chester University to be added to the plan. The Committee requires approximately three weeks lead-time to grant approval. The Associate Dean provide oversight on all individual proposals as the final reviewer.
When submitting a proposal for an non-credit activity to the Act 48 Committee, it must meet the following eight standards:
1. Professional development acitivites must have clear objectives for increasing student achievement and school success.
2. Professional development acitivites are based on principles of adult leaning theory to engage educators in professional growth.
3. Professional development activities are aligned to at least one component of one domain within the Danielson Framework for Teaching.
4. Professional development activities are aligned with the current and applicable Pennsylvania Core Standards or Pennsylvania Academic Standards.
5. Professional development activities utilize a curriculum that is based on research or best practice and a delivery model that emphasizes sustained, job-embedded profressional development.
6. The provider addesses participant proficieny through an end-of-the-course assessment.
7. The provider accesses participant satisfaction and impact on professional practice through surveys of all enrollees that are uaed by the provider for continuous improvement.
8. Effectiveness of the offerings is evaluated through multiple measures of student achievement within the context of educator effectiveness to determine impact on student learning, educator effectiveness, and/or school performance.
NOTE: the number of hours must be actual working hours; lunches and breaks are not counted in the number of hours of the activity.
Please contact the Dean's Office ( Ashley Rowe ) at 610-436-2321 for further assistance regarding Act 48 credit for non-credit bearing activities at West Chester University.