Angela Lavery, PhD, LCSW, FT
Graduate Certificate Coordinator
Associate Professor, Graduate Social Work
Dr. Lavery is the coordinator of the Graduate Certificate in Gerontology. She is an Associate Professor with the Graduate Social Work Department. Dr. Lavery is a Licensed Clinical Social Worker and a Fellow in Thanatology through the Association for Death Education and Counseling. She has worked in a variety of settings, including hospice and senior centers. Prior to seeking her PhD, she was the Assistant Director of the Wyoming Geriatric Education Center (WyGEC) at the University of Wyoming. Her research and scholarship background includes studying older adults with low income waiting for affordable housing, animal assisted interactions and interventions, disability, as well as older adults at risk for abuse, neglect and exploitation. Dr. Lavery, Dr. Stacie Metz, Dr. Pablo Arriaza and alumna Kai MacDonald are all currently working on a research project titled: The Conversation Project Workshop Evaluation. This project is examining the use of the Conversation Project (end of life) workshops conducted with WCU BSW and MSW students and alumni. Dr. Lavery and Dr. Metz are also currently working on a service learning project with the PA Department of Aging. Dr. Lavery serves on the PA National Association of Social Workers (NASW) Aging Symposium Conference Planning Committee;
Gerontology Courses Taught
- SWG 571 - Social Work and Older Adults
- SWG 580 - Social Work Practice in End of Life Care
- Lavery A. (2021). COVID-19: A reminder that addressing ageism is essential. Mental Health: NASW Practice Specialty Practice Section: Spring/Summer 2021, 5-6.
- Lavery, A. L., Hasche, L. K., DePrince, A. P., Gagnon, K., Srinivas, T. & Boyce, E. (2020). Mental health consequences and service utilization among older adults at risk for financial exploitation. Social Work Research, 44(4), 257-265.
- Bowen, M.E., Gaynor, B., Phillips, L. Orsega-Smith, E., Lavery, A., Mitchell, A., & Basehore, H. (2020). Factors associated with health service utilization among older adults in a Mobile Veterans Program. The Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 46(5), 15-22.
- Buck, P. & Lavery, A. (2020). Animal-assisted activities for children on the autism spectrum: Parent insights. Human Animal Interaction Bulletin, 8(1), 78-89.
- Kattari, S., Lavery, A. & Hasche, L. (2017). Applying a social model of disability across the lifespan. Journal of Human Behavior in the Social Environment, 27(8), 865-880.
- Hasche, L.K. & Lavery A. (2015). As needed: Case management across aging services in response to depression. Journal of Gerontological Social Work, 58(3), 272-288.
- Lavery-Benson, A. (2010). Transitions in Care. AGHE Exchange: A Newsletter of the Association for Gerontology in Higher Education, 34(1), 14-15.