Hire A Consultant
Bring the DNA Discussion Project to your organization.
Request a quote today to learn more about how we can customize the project to meet your specific needs. Please contact Anita Foeman for more information.
After a DNA test, he told a stranger: 'I think you might be my father'
America’s Brutal Racial History Is Written All Over Our Genes
We Can't Breathe, America! Dialogues for Change
Dealing With Unexpected Discoveries After DNA Tests
'I Was Numb': Family Secrets Come to Light as DNA Testing Gains Popularity
What is race? It isn’t skin color, as some young people are learning
Sigrid Johnson Was Black. A DNA Test Said She Wasn’t.
For National Geographic, an Exploration of Race (and Commercial Opportunity)
The Blurring of Racial Lines won't save America. Why 'racial fluidity' is a con
There’s No Scientific Basis for Race—It's a Made-Up Label
They considered themselves white, but DNA tests told a more complex story
African Americans Connect with Roots Through DNA
NPR Interview - Who's Your Great-Great-Great-Great Granddaddy?
NPR Code Switch - one.npr.org, 8/9/17
The Breaking Free Show with Marilyn Shannon, 5/15/17
"DNA Tests, and Sometimes Surprising Results"
The NY Times, 4/20/17
Radio Times - Genetic Ancestry Testing
Radio Times with Marty Moss-Coane - whyy.org, 1/25/17
- NPR Interview - Anita Foeman: DNA Discussion Project
NPR Here & Now - NPR.org, 1/4/17
“Exploring Our Roots (January Issue, pg.31)“
issuu.com - The WC Press, 1/1/17
- BBC Interview - Anita Foeman: DNA Discussion Project
BBC Outside Source - BBC.co.uk, 12/30/16
“To bring a divided country together, start with a little spit“
"Our Common Core: Ancestry DNA-Hope for Humanity"
TED X Talks - youtube.com, 12/21/16
“Exploring genetic roots to help students understand race, themselves“
“West Chester DNA project to show one community, ancestry”
Daily Local News, 8/2/15
“In West Chester, DNA becomes a building block for race debate”
- Foeman, A. (2009). Science and magic: Using DNA data to examine the social construction of race. Journal of Intercultural Communication Studies, 18(2), 14–25.
- Foeman, A. (2010, April). Advanced intercultural communication project exploring the relationship among DNA ancestry profiles. Paper presented at the annual conference of the Eastern Communication Association, Baltimore, MD.
- Foeman, A. (2012). An intercultural project exploring the relationship among DNA ancestry profiles, family narrative, and the social construction of race. Journal of Negro Education, 81, 307–318.
- Foeman, A. (2013). Social construction of race. In A. Kurylo (Ed.) Inter/cultural
Representation and construction of culture (pp. 17–18). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Foeman, A., & Lawton, B. (June, 2013) Exploring global identity in education: Ancestry DNA and diversity training as classroom approaches for creating awareness of a global community. Frederick Douglass Institute and Ghana Interdisciplinary Conference on Diversity and Multiculturalism Cape Coast, Ghana.
- Foeman, A., Adams, J., Gongole, K., Guare, S., Jones, M., Liu, O., Sainju, S., Sanders, R., Lawton, B. (November 2013). Toward a New View of Race: Exploring the Implications of Ancestry DNA for Racial Identity. National Communication Association Conference, Washington, DC.
- Foeman, A. (2014, March). Ancestry synchronicity: Using ancestry DNA and narrative to explore our humanness. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HRTZVVyJC8&noredirect=1
- Foeman, A. & Howard, A. (2014, October) Experiential learning cycle to the WCU DNA Diversity Project. Paper presented to the Knowledge Crossing Borders conference, Heredia, Costa Rica.
- Foeman, A., Lawton, B., & Rieger, R. (2014) Questioning race: Ancestry DNA and dialog on race. Communication Monographs, 82(2), 1-20
- Foeman, A., & Lawton, B. (, November, 2015). The multiethnic-racial experience: Reflections and considerations on identity, family, and community. National Communication Association conference, Las Vegas, NV.
- Lawton, B. (November, 2016). The role of Ancestry DNA in multiracial individuals’ voices as they construct civic dialogue on race. National Communication Association Conference. Philadelphia, PA.
- Lawton, B., & Foeman, A. (November, 2016). Ancestry DNA and interracial communication. National Communication Association Conference, Philadelphia, PA.
- Foeman, A., & Lawton, B. (2016, November). Our Common Core: Ancestry DNA and Hope for Humanity. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfuN89U9fT4
- Lawton, B., & Foeman, A. (2017). Shifting winds: Using ancestry DNA to explore multiracial individuals’ patterns of articulating racial identity. Identity, 17(2), 69-83. DOI: 10.1080/15283488.2017.1303383
- Lawton, B. Foeman, A. & Surdel, N Bridging Discussions of Human History: Ancestry DNA and New Roles for Africana Studies, Genealogy 2018, 2(1), 5; doi:10.3390/genealogy2010005
- Foeman, A. & Lawton, B.(2021). Who am I: Identity in the age of consumer DNA testing. Cognella. San Diego.