South Campus Garden
About the North Campus Garden:
- Established in March of 2015, the South Campus Community Garden is a space to learn about sustainable food production and help combat food insecurity.
- The garden is maintained by student interns, work-study students, and volunteers under the supervision of Dr. Ashlie Delshad, Dr. Joan Welch, Dr. Lynn Monahan, and Dr. Nur Ritter.
- The majority of the produce that we grow is donated to the WCU Resource Pantry, but we also support the West Chester Food Cupboard.
- The garden is open to everyone - faculty, staff, students, and the community. We always
love having visitors in the garden, but please note that it is essential that produce
only be harvested under the supervision of garden staff. Doing so ensures:
- Crops are harvested properly and when ripe to preserve the health of plants.
- The garden staff is able to keep accurate records of crop yields.
- The majority of fresh produce is able to reach food insecure individuals in our community.
- The South Campus Garden employs a three-season gardening method, which means there
is a rotating crop supply almost eight months of the year.
- Spring crops include: spinach, cabbage, lettuce, broccoli, kale, collards, radishes, carrots, beets, and strawberries
- Summer crops include: cucumbers, summer squash, tomatoes, hot and sweet peppers, eggplant, okra, and blueberries
- Fall crops include: brussels sprouts, winter squash, kale, broccoli, garlic, lettuce, and raspberries
- Location: South Campus Apartments, behind Building 837 (you can also find us on the campus map by searching "South Campus Demonstration Garden")
- Get Involved: Below you will find the open volunteer hours offered at our South Campus location for the Summer 2022 semester. To register for a volunteer experience with us, fill out the sign up sheet linked below. Questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org. In cases of inclement weather, volunteer hours will be cancelled.
Summer 2022 South Campus Garden Volunteer Hours:
Tuesday 9am - 11am
Wednesday 9am - 10am
Friday 9am - 11am