Phyllis A. Belak
Professor Belak is an assistant professor in the Accounting Department at West Chester University and earned her MBA at Drexel University. She is a Certified Public Accountant and Certified Fraud Examiner. Professor Belak was recognized by the Honors College as "Outstanding Faculty in Teaching". Professor Belak's research interests involve topics related to Fraud Examination and Tax. She has published in the Pennsylvania CPA Journal, Accounting Instructor's Report and the Journal of Business Case Studies. Professor Belak's work has been presented at the Northeastern Association of Business, Economics, and Technology Conference and published in the Conference Proceedings.
Education and Professional Certifications
- B.S., West Chester University of Pennsylvania
- M.S., West Chester University of Pennsylvania
- M.B.A., Drexel University
- Certified Public Accountant, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- Certified Fraud Examiner
Area of Expertise
- Managerial Accounting
- Government and NFP Accounting
Relevant Professional/Applied Experience
- Senior Financial Analyst
- Hesse, M., Przemieniecki, C. (2021). Gangs. (2nd ed.). Kendall Hunt
Belak, P. chapter 7: “Entrepreneurship, Finances, and Gangs”.
- Flynn, K., Belak, P., Andre, S. (2020) Sir Allen Stanford: Inmate # 35017-183 A Ponzi Scheme Case Study. The Case Journal.
- Belak, P., Andre, S., Flynn, K. (2019). When financial statements lie: An overview for introductory accounting courses. Accounting Instructors Report. Fall 2019.
Professional and Community Engagement
- Accounting Department Curriculum Committee
- Accounting Department Scholarship Committee
- CBPM Curriculum Management Committee
- CBPM Student Success Committee
- CBPM Scholarship Committee
- CBPM International Committee
Classes Regularly Taught
- ACC 202 Managerial Accounting
- ACC 300 Fraud Examination for Managers
- ACC 313 Case Studies in Financial Fraud
- ACC 407 Not-For-Profit & Governmental Accounting