Dr. Gerard A. Callanan
Dr. Gerard A. Callanan is Professor of Management in the School of Business at West Chester University. He received his Ph.D. in Organizational Behavior from Drexel University. Prior to his appointment at West Chester, he was a Vice President with the Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia. He is a member of the Academy of Management and the American Psychological Association and his research on a variety of management topics has appeared in a number of scholarly publications. Dr. Callanan is coeditor (with Jeffrey H. Greenhaus of Drexel University) of the Encyclopedia of Career Development, published in 2006 by Sage. He is also the co-author (with Jeffrey H. Greenhaus of Drexel University and Veronica M. Godshalk of Penn State University) of the fifth edition of the textbook Career Management for Life, published by Routledge in 2019. Dr. Callanan is the co-author (with Jeffrey H. Greenhaus of Drexel University) of the book An Advanced Introduction to Sustainable Careers, published by Elgar in 2022. Dr. Callanan recently co-authored, along with management scholars Michael Arthur and Maury Peiperl, a chapter entitled The Past, Present and Future of 21st Century Careers that appears in the Companion to Career Studies, published by Routledge in 2020.
- B.B.A., Temple University
- M.B.A, LaSalle University
- Ph.D., Drexel University
- Member of the American Psychological Association and the Academy of Management.
Areas of Expertise
- Career Management and Decision Making
- Corporate Governance
- Business Ethics
Relevant Professional/Applied Experience
Prior to his appointment at West Chester, Dr. Callanan spent more than 22 years with the Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia, having served in such areas as strategic planning, credit and risk management, and currency and coin administration. At the time he left the Federal Reserve, he was the Vice President and National Product Manager for Currency and Coin for the United States.
- Greenhaus, J. H., & Callanan, G. A. (2022). An Advanced Introduction to Sustainable Careers, Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar.
- Callanan, G. A., Perri, D. F. & Tomkowicz, S. (2021). Targeting vulnerable populations: The ethical implications of data mining, automated prediction, and focused marketing. Business and Society Review. 126, 155-167.
- Callanan, G. A., Peiperl, M., & Arthur, M. B. (2020). The Past, Present and Future of 21st Century Careers. In H. Gunz, M. Lazarova, and W. Mayrhofer (eds.), Companion to Career Studies. (pp. 410-420),New York, NY: Routledge.
- Greenhaus, J. H., & Callanan, G. A. (2020). Implications of the Changing Nature of Work for the Interface Between Work and Non-Work Lives. In B. J. Hoffman, M. K. Shoss, and L. A. Wegman (eds.), Cambridge Handbook of the Changing Nature of Work. (pp. 467-488), Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- Callanan, G. A., & Perri, D. F. (2020). Constructing construction careers: The case for the building trades. Education & Training. 62, 201-213.
- Greenhaus, J. H., Callanan, G. A., & Godshalk, V. M. (2019). Career Management for Life, 5th edition, New York, NY: Routledge.
- Callanan, G. A., Perri, D. F. & Tomkowicz, S. (2018). Data mining and automated prediction: A pedagogical primer for classroom discussion. Journal of Education for Business. 93, 352-360.
- Callanan, G. A., Perri, D. F. & Tomkowicz, S. (2017). Career management in uncertain times: Challenges and opportunities. Career Development Quarterly. 65, 353-365.
Professional and Community Engagement
Service to community boards and organizations:
- Vice President and Treasurer, the Suburban Travel Baseball Organization, Bensalem, PA., March 1999 to the Present.
- Board of Governors, Roosevelt Racquet Club, Meadowbrook, PA
Classes Regularly Taught
- MGT 313 Business and Society
- MGT 487 Career Management
- MGT 498 Management Seminar
- MGT 499 Business Policy