Dr. Angela Kline
Title: MPA Director, Assistant Professor
Location: 522 BPM Center
Google Scholar: Dr. Angela Kline Profile
Dr. Angela Kline is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Public Policy and Administration at West Chester University, and received her PhD in Urban Affairs and Public Policy from the Joseph R. Biden, Jr. School of Public Policy and Administration at the University of Delaware. Her research interests include nonprofit management and accountability, open data, and social equity. Kline currently serves as the District II Representative on the National Council of the American Society for Public Administration. Before joining academia, Kline worked for several nonprofit organizations doing resource development and evaluation.
- B.A., University of Pittsburgh
- MPA, Villanova University
- Ph.D., University of Delaware
- DPA 701 Advanced Practice and Applied Theories of Public Policy and Administration
- DPA 704 Advocacy and Leadership in Public Policy and Administration
- DPA 705 Research Design for Program and Policy and Evaluation
- DPA 707 Qualitative Methods of Program and Policy and Evaluation
- PPA 505 Public Sector Organization Theory and Behavior
- PPA 506 Foundations in Nonprofit Administration
- PPA 533 Nonprofit Fundraising Essentials
- Neal, S., Kline, A., Gherardi, M., & Olejarski, A. (2021). (Under Review). I’m only human: A new e-road to advancing social equity through a humanist approach to mentoring in public service. Review of Public Personnel Administration.
- Dolamore, S., Lovell, D., Collins, H., & Kline, A. (2020). The role of empathy in organizational communication during times of crisis. Administrative Theory and Praxis.
- McCandless, S., & Kline, A. (2020). Islamophobia in France: Using technology and outreach to advance social equity. In S. Gooden (Ed.), Nervous areas of government: Addressing inequities around the world. Routledge.
- Dolamore, S. & Kline, A. (2020). Strengthening community-based health and human services in the shadow of structural inequality: A critical case study of collective impact. Journal of Health and Human Services Administration.
- Kline, A., & Aristigueta, M.P. (2019). Ethical decision making. In C. Jurkiewicz (Ed.), Global corruption & ethics management. Rowman & Littlefield.
Selected Conference Presentations
- “Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in Central Virginia Nonprofits” at the 2021 ASPA National Conference with Drs. Lindsey Evans and Nancy Stutts
- Panel Moderator, “The Sum of Small Efforts: Practitioner-Scholars on Effective and Equitable Administration,” at the 2021 ASPA National Conference
- Working with two DPA students, Sue Neal and Michelle Gherardi, and PPA Chair Dr. Amanda Olejarski, our paper on “Critical Mentoring in Public Affairs” was accepted to the Public Management Research Conference
- In collaboration with a colleague from Gallaudet University, our paper titled “Addressing the Social Justice Crisis of Refugee Resettlement in the United States: A Case Study of Accountability to Affected Populations” was accepted to the National Academy of Public Administration 19th Annual Social Equity Leadership Conference
Current Research Agenda
- “Realities of a pandemic: A qualitative study of women in academic with caregiving responsibilities” with DPA Student, Dimple Sunayna Johnson
- “Capacity, Content, & Quality: Understanding the Faculty Experience of Online-only MPA programs” with DPA Student, Sue Neal
- “Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion in Central Virginia Nonprofits” with Drs. Lindsey Evans and Nancy Stutts from Virginia Commonwealth University
- “Organizational Culture and Social Equity” with Dr. Stephanie Dolamore from Gallaudet University
- Nonprofit organization administration, online education, nonprofit data use, program evaluation, social equity