Opened in 2007, the building features a 385-seat performance hall which houses multiple theatre & dance productions throughout our season. Adjacent to the new Swope Music Building and named for former WCU President Madeleine Wing Adler (1992-2008), completion of this project ensures the quality of existing cultural arts programs and expand arts collaborations within the West Chester community.
Enjoy a virtual tour of Madeleine Wing Adler Theatre.
The Emilie K. Asplundh Concert Hall, located in the Philips Memorial Building, opened in 1927 and was completely renovated from 1998-2000. Emilie K. Asplundh Concert Hall has a maximum capacity of 1,202 people and is the largest performing arts venue on campus. Since its renovation the Emilie K. Asplundh Concert Hall has hosted over 450,000 guests. The concert hall was dedicated to Emilie K. Asplundh, class of 1927, who donated a substantial amount to the renovation of Philips Building and the concert hall.
Enjoy a virtual tour of Emilie K. Asplundh Concert Hall.
The autograph library in the Philips Memorial Building is a massive room with a fireplace, walls of glass-enclosed bookshelves, high gothic windows and a decorative ceiling. It was the largest autographed book collection of its time, with 2000 books by the time of Dr. Philips' death in 1920. Often used for both faculty and student recitals, this space accommodates larger groups and visiting lectures.
Enjoy a virtual tour of Philips Autograph Library.
Located in the E.O. Bull Center for the Arts, the MainStage Theatre is a unique and intimate theatrical space. The thrust layout to this space brings our 160-member audience closer to the action of the plays and musicals produced within it. The theater is equipped with a state of the art wire tension grid that allows our technicians and designers to hang and focus the lighting for productions quickly and safely. Dressing rooms are attached.
Enjoy a virtual tour of MainStage Theatre.
Also located in the E.O. Bull Center for the Arts, the J.Peter Adler Studio Theatre is an intimate proscenium space that primarily hosts the work of our emerging student playwrights, experimental productions, and projects from departmental performance courses. Students are the playwrights, directors, performers, and technicians. With 60 seats, our audience members are treated to an up-close and personal view of each production.
Enjoy a virtual tour of J.Peter Adler Studio Theatre.
The Department of Art + Design houses two gallery spaces located in the Swope Music Building and E.O. Bull Center for the Arts. Maintaining a regular schedule of professional artist and student exhibitions throughout the school year, the final exhibition and highlight of the season is the Graduating Senior Exhibition.
Enjoy a virtual tour of John H Baker Art Gallery or Knauer Art Gallery.