Assistant Professor of Art History
E.O. Bull Center 136
- Dissertation: From Hieron and Oikos: A Study of Bronze Statuettes from Hellenistic and Imperial Greece.
- Ph.D. (History of Art), Indiana University, Bloomington, 2006
- M.A. (History of Art), Indiana University, Bloomington, 1993
- B.A. (Department of Art), California State University, Long Beach, 1989
- West Chester University of Pennsylvania, Assistant Professor, 2008-present
- West Chester University of Pennsylvania, Adjunct Professor, 2004-2008
- De Anza College, Instructor, 2004
- Excavator, Palatine East Excavation, Rome (Director: Eric Hostetter, University of Illinois, Urbana - Champaign). 1994.
- Data Entry, Metals Cabinet, Athenian Agora Excavations (Director: John Camp II). 2002.
Awards and Honors
- Faculty Grant for Development, West Chester University. 2010.
- Solow Summer Research Fellowship at the American School of Classical Studies in Athens. 2007.
- National Endowment of the Humanities Summer Institute participant Models of Ancient Rome, UCLA. 2006.
- American School of Classical Studies at Athens, Eugene Vanderpool Fellowship. 2001-2002.
- Indiana University, Department of Anthropology, Schrader Summer Research Grant. 2001.
- Archaeological Institute of America, Anna C. and Oliver C. Colburn Fellowship. 2000-2001.
- Observations on the Casting, Mounting and Display of Archaic Greek Bronze Statuettes, in the Proceedings of the XVIIth International Congress of Ancient Bronzes, Izmir, Turkey. Forthcoming 2012.
- The Religious and Decorative Uses of Terracottas in Houses at Olynthus, in E.
- Lafli/A. Muller (eds.), Figurines de terre cuite en Méditerranee orientale grecque et romaine. Production et Diffusion, Iconographie et Fonction. Colloque international, 2-6 juin 2007 / Izmir, Turquie. Forthcoming 2011.
- Bronze Statuettes of a Nude Female Goddess from Sidonian Graves: Aphrodite or Astarte? in the Proceedings of the 10th Symposium of Mediterranean Archaeology, March 9-11, 2006. Başkent University, Ankara. Forthcoming 2011.
- Contributor (catalog entries), A Peaceable Kingdom: Animals in Ancient Art from the Leo Mildenberg Collection, Zurich: von Zabern, 2004.
- A Bronze Statuette from the Athenian Agora: A Technical and Iconographical Examination, in I Bronzi Antichi: Produzione e Technologia. Atti del XV Congresso Internazionale sui Bronzi Antichi, organizzato dall'Università di Udine, sede di Gorizia Grado-Aquileia, 22-26 maggio 2001 (Monograph Instrumentum 21), A. Giumlia-Mair, ed. Montagnac, 2002, pp. 167-173.
Works in Progress
- Greek Imperial Bronzes from the Athenian Agora, An article in process soon to be submitted to the journal Hesperia.
- The Manufacture, Assemblage and Decoration of Greek Bronzes. An article-length study on bronze-making technologies of Classical, Hellenistic and Imperial bronzes.
Papers and Posters
- Think Globally, Look Locally: Utilizing Regional Architecture in the Art History Survey.
- Paper accepted at the Southeastern College Art Conference (forthcoming October 2011).
- Messing with the Old Masters: A Portrait Project for Art History Survey Classes. Paper accepted to Southeastern College Art Conference (October 2011).
- Observations on the Casting, Mounting and Display of Archaic Greek Bronze Statuettes. XVIIth International Congress of Ancient Bronzes, Izmir, Turkey (May 2011).
- What's Old is New Again: New Research on Greek and Roman Bronzes, WCU Research Day (April 2011).
- The Decoration and Display of Bronze Statuettes in the Greek and Roman World, Poster presented at the Annual Meeting of the Archaeological Institute of America, San Antonio TX (January 2011).
- Ancient History through Hollywood Eyes, Southeastern College Art Conference, Richmond VA (October 2010).
- Votive and Secular, Plain and Fancy: the Decoration and Display of Bronze Statuettes in the Greek and Roman World. Southeastern College Art Conference, Richmond VA (October 2010). Paper accepted.
- Schliemann, Homer and the Legend of the Trojan War, West Chester University F.H.G. Library symposium Celebrating Homer, West Chester, PA (April 2010).
- Strangers in a Strange Land: Roman Thematic Bronzes in Greece during the Imperial Period, Southeastern College Art Conference, Mobile, AL (October 2009).
- The Religious and Decorative Uses of Terracottas in Houses at Olynthus, International Conference: Terracotta Figurines in the Greek and Roman Eastern Mediterranean, Izmir, Turkey, June 2007 (June 2007).
- Bronze and Terracotta Funerary Statuettes of Aphrodite Found in Sidon, Symposium on Mediterranean Archaeology, Ankara, Turkey (March 2006).
- Bronze Statuettes from Hellenistic Greek Domestic Contexts: Issues of Form and Function, AIA Annual Conference, Philadelphia (January 2002).
- A Bronze Statuette of Eirene from the Athenian Agora, Fifteenth International Bronze Congress, University of Udine (May 2001).