Department of Art + Design
Our BFA program is National Association of Schools for Art and Design (NASAD) accredited. Students in our programs actively learn in a highly creative environment. Our BFA programs teach the skills necessary for successful careers in the arts through learning and developing formal concepts, a diverse range of traditional and new technical processes, a hands-on engagement with theories and histories of art, and the opportunity to pursue a strong personal vision. Our programs includes a strong foundation in Drawing, Design, Color Theory and Art History, with a broad range of upper-level courses in the following degree programs:
- Graphic + Interactive Design,
- Studio Arts, with three professional concentrations:
- and General Studio
- and minors in Studio Art and Art History.
Our faculty, who are practicing professional artists, work closely with students to inspire and help them develop and expand their creative abilities. In addition, students have the opportunity to receive feedback on their work from visiting artists, designers, and distinguished alumni. Graduates of our programs pursue a wide range of occupations within the arts including print and web design, advertising, marketing, education, art therapy, gallery/museum administration and freelance art and design projects.
The mission of the Department of Art + Design is to prepare talented and dedicated students for professional creative careers by emphasizing critical thinking, creative problem solving, visual literacy, and the creative process. Through a nationally-accredited B.F.A. curriculum, students acquire technical and conceptual tools, obtain a solid foundation of visual literacy and appreciation, and are encouraged to develop as socially and globally-engaged artists. Our faculty members are active and professionally-recognized artists, designers, and scholars, who are dedicated teachers committed to fostering an environment promoting artistic experimentation, diversity of thought, multiculturalism and global awareness. Students are provided with opportunities to participate in internships, field trips, student exhibitions, study abroad programs, and to interact with noted artists and designers both at the university and in other professional settings. The Department and West Chester University are committed to ensuring the personal and professional success of our students and to preparing them to be active and engaged creative professionals both in their field and in society.
- Students in the BFA program will demonstrate an awareness and understanding in the implementation of basic elements and principles of design within the foundations.
- Students in the BFA program will demonstrate essential competencies in technique and or technical processes and show critical thinking and problem solving within the specialized areas of concentration.
- Students in the BFA program will demonstrate proficiencies in the chosen area of concentration through written, verbal and visual communication to prepare for lifelong involvement in the applied and fine arts.
- Students in the BFA program will demonstrate competency in acquiring and integrating knowledge of key movements in the history of art, artists and works of art that are fundamental to the development of personal aesthetic through information literacy and critical thinking in written and verbal formats.