Hello, New Rams!
Transferring to a new school is a unique experience for each student, so we've designed transfer orientations that don't take a one-size-fits-all approach. Instead, we want to give you the information you need to be a successful Golden Ram by providing the opportunity to learn about the specific offices, services and people you feel will help you throughout your journey.
Orientation information for new Golden Rams starting West Chester in January 2024 will be posted soon. Please check back.
Feel free to reach out to us at email@example.com or (610) 436-3305 if you have questions or we can help you as you prepare to start your first semester as a West Chester University Golden Ram!
SUMMER 2023 TRANSFER ORIENTATION INFORMATION
- Log into your Admissions Portal.
- Find the link to register at the top of your status page.
- Choose a date from the scheduling calendar.
- To change your orientation after you've registered, complete the Change My Orientation Date request form available in your Admissions portal once you register.
NOTE: Since you are logging into your admissions portal to register, use the email address and password you used when you submitted your admissions application to WCU.
Before coming to orientation, be sure to:
Complete New Ram Essentials so you're ready for your orientation day!
Upload an ID photo for your Ram Card.
- Only students who've uploaded a photo will be able to pick up their ID card at orientation.
Find your class scheduled so you're ready for your advising session.
- Once you've worked with your academic department to schedule, you'll be able to view your class schedule in two locations: myWCU and the Navigate App.
- Choose one of the following ways to have your schedule on hand so you're prepared
for your advising session at New Student Orientation:
- Download the Navigate App which you can find by searching “Navigate Student” in most app stores. Simply sign into the app with your WCU email and password once you've downloaded it. We recommend downloading the app on your phone so your class schedule is at your fingertips for your advising session.
- Screenshot a copy of your fall schedule from myWCU on a cell phone.
- Print out a copy of your fall schedule from myWCU to bring with you.
- Arrive between 8 AM and 8:30 AM on your orientation day to meet with an orientation leader who will help you access and print your schedule on campus.
- If you need help with myWCU, check out these helpful training videos.
New Student Programs is committed to making orientation accessible to all new Golden Rams and their guests. Please specify your needs on your orientation registration form, or reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (610) 436-3305 to discuss:
- Accessibility Needs
We will do our best to accommodate all accessibility needs. The sooner we know about your needed accommodation, the more time we have to prepare. While we will make every effort to meet your needs, we may be unable to assist with accommodation requests received fewer than two weeks before your scheduled orientation and will communicate any progress with you.
- Spanish Language Interpretation
New Student Programs offers interpretation services to our Spanish-speaking students and guests. Please let us know on your registration form or email us at email@example.com if you or your guest would like to utilize this service, and one of our interpreters will reach out to discuss your needs.
- Low Sensory Spaces
We recognize that some of the large sessions in the Asplundh Concert Hall, Sykes Ballrooms and the Commons Dining Hall at orientation may cause sensory concerns for some individuals. Alternative, low-sensory spaces will be available to make those sessions accessible to new Rams and their guests. Please see any member of the orientation staff on your orientation day and they can direct you to this space.
The student's lunch in the campus dining hall is included in the program. Guests can purchase a meal ticket to eat in the campus dining hall for $5.50 at orientation, or they are welcome to explore off-campus lunch options in the Borough of West Chester.
We greatly appreciate your bringing cash to purchase your guest meal ticket if possible--exact change is great! This means less time in line and more time to eat for everyone. Thank you.
We know orientation is an exciting time for the entire family, but due to space limitations, each student is permitted to bring only one guest to orientation. We appreciate your cooperation with this policy in order to ensure a safe and productive orientation day for everyone. Guests and students will attend separate orientation sessions for portions of the day. Parents, guardians, and anyone who supports a Golden Ram are encouraged to sign up for Ram Fam Central to help them stay up to date on the latest news, information and happenings at WCU.
Orientation check-in starts at 8 AM at the Business & Public Management Center on the corner of Sharpless and S. Church Streets. The orientation program begins promptly at 8:45 AM and will end at approximately 3 PM.
What is New Ram Essentials?
- New Ram Essentials is an online program all new Rams to are required to complete before their orientation day.
- New Ram Essentials introduces you to WCU's campus, programs, and services so you can make the most of your orientation day and connect with the offices and services you need to have your important questions answered.
- New Ram Essentials stays with you. It's a resource you can refer back to over the summer and throughout your first year as a Golden Ram any time you need a refresher on the information it contains.
Here's some other important information about New Ram Essentials:
- Log in to New Ram Essentials with your WCU email and password.
- You can complete the program in one sitting (it takes about an hour), or you can log out and log back in. The program will save your progress and pick up where you left off.
- Your family and supporters can complete the program too! Just share the link with them and have them log on as a guest.
All new students are charged a one-time New Student Fee on their first semester bill. This fee covers the costs associated with all orientation programming. All new students are charged the New Student Fee regardless of their level of participation in orientation programming.
- Tuesday, August 15
- Wednesday, August 16
- Thursday, August 17
- Friday, August 18
On-campus orientation for students age 24 or older who are entering college for the first time or returning after an extended absence
- Friday, August 18
- August 23-27
Free parking for the August 15, 16 and 17 orientations will be available in the Sharpless Street Parking Garage located at 25 Sharpless Street. Please use this as your primary parking location. If needed, overflow parking will be available in The Commons Parking Garage, 124 North Campus Drive.
Free parking for the August 18 Adult Learner orientation is available in the lot behind Sykes Student Union or in M lot behind the Swope Music Building.
You can find all locations on WCU's campus map.
To avoid being ticketed or towed, do not park in designated faculty/staff parking lots. These require a valid permit and are strictly enforced over the summer. Street parking is controlled by the Borough of West Chester and is also strictly enforced. If parking on the street, you will need to pay at the meter or kiosk. West Chester University does not validate or reimburse for Borough-controlled parking.
The West Chester University Resource Pantry supports student success by minimizing food and basic need insecurity and preparing students for life after graduation.
As a new Golden Ram, you can help support the Resource Pantry's mission by bringing a donation with you to orientation! The most-needed items for the Resource Pantry include:
PERSONAL CARE ITEMS
- Body wash
- Dish soap
- Dryer sheets
- Laundry pods
- Menstrual Care Products
- Paper towels
- Reusable shopping bags
- Shampoo & conditioner
- Shaving lotion
- Soap (bar and pump)
- Toilet paper
- Toothbrushes/oral care
- Loose Leaf Paper
- Pens, pencils, and highlighters
You can also check out the Resource Pantry's Amazon Wish List for more ideas!
Throughout the summer, Aqua Pennsylvania will be replacing water mains in the Borough of West Chester. This work will impact several streets around the University. Traffic delays and detours due to street closings may add additional time to your commute as you travel to and from the University.
During orientation, you’ll have plenty of time to get to know your orientation leaders and meet other new Rams. You'll also hear about the support services WCU offers to help all Golden Rams be successful. You’ll be touring campus too, so wear comfortable shoes and bring an umbrella if rain is in the forecast!
"Orientation had such good energy! It made us feel comfortable, excited, and energetic about attending WCU in the Fall."
- WCU Orientation Participant