If you’re considering West Chester University for your educational career, you’re in excellent company. With students from 29 states across the nation, from more than 40 countries around the globe, and more than 93,000 alumni worldwide, West Chester University enjoys a truly global reach. At WCU our community is dedicated to cultural exchange, global literacy, international education, and most importantly—your success.
WCU appears consistently in the US News & World Report rankings as a Top Public School (North) and Top Regional University (North), and we are proud to offer the highest level of educational excellence through nearly 180 undergraduate and graduate programs. So get to know us, and learn more about the countless opportunities waiting for you at West Chester University.
Your Admissions Contact
Summer Davey, Assistant Director of International Admissions
(610) 436 -2486
Who is classified as an international student?
- An international student is an applicant who is not a US citizen, permanent resident, or has been granted deferred action for childhood arrivals (DACA) status.
Is the SAT or ACT required for international students?
- SAT or ACT is not required of international students, though if either exam has been taken you are strongly encouraged to submit the scores as they could enhance your application.
Do I have to take TOEFL/IELTS/Duolingo if I have been enrolled at a US college or university?
- Not necessarily. Students who have completed 24 college-level credits at a US college or university to include a Composition I class with a grade C or better will not need to provide proof of English language proficiency in the form of IELTS/TOEFL/Duolingo. Students who have not completed 24 college-level credits in the US will need to provide IELTS, TOEFL, or Duolingo scores.
Do you have an ESL program on campus?
- We have welcomed ELS/Philadelphia – West Chester to our campus. ELS is a leader in English language instruction across the globe and WCU is excited to welcome them to campus. Please refer to the ELS website for more information about the English language programs they offer.
Does West Chester University offer conditional admission to incoming international students?
- Students enrolling in the ELS/Philadelphia – West Chester program will be eligible for conditional admission to a degree program. Conditional admission is not an option for students outside of the ELS program.
Is there an admissions deadline?
- There is not a set deadline, however, as the application and visa process can take some time it is suggested that applications and supporting documentation for the Spring semester are submitted by 15 October, and by 1 May for Fall semester consideration. Exceptions will be considered on an individual basis.
Can the application fee be waived for international students?
- The application fee can only be waived for international students in special cases. Please contact the Assistant Director of International Admissions directly if there are extenuating circumstances and you are unable to pay your application fee.
Do I have to submit a credential evaluation, or may I provide my English-translated transcripts and certificates to the Office of Admissions?
- The Office of Undergraduate Admissions is not currently in a position to evaluate postsecondary qualifications undertaken by students outside of the United States. Therefore, transfer students with non-US credentials are asked to provide a course-by-course evaluation of qualifications completed by a National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) member.
Is financial assistance available to international students?
International students are not eligible for federal financial aid. However, the Office of Admissions has a limited number of scholarships for distribution to select international (F-1) visa students. The scholarships are $4,000/year and renewable upon the student sustaining a 3.0 GPA and making academic progress while at WCU. Students with a GPA of at least a 3.0 at their current institution with English language proficiency scores (ie, SAT, ACT, TOEFL, IELTS, Duolingo) markedly above our minimum requirements are automatically reviewed for the scholarship. West Chester University is unable to offer full or partial tuition scholarships to incoming international students.
Where can I find more information on the visa process, insurance requirements, employment, and other issues relevant to international students studying in the United States?
- The University’s Center for International Programs (CIP) is the support area for incoming and current international students. A lot of useful information on these subjects can be found on the CIP website.
With over 300 recognized organizations, there is no shortage of ways to get involved or activities to participate in!
If you're living in a residence hall, your Resident Advisors will plan fun activities to do. And if you take a short walk into town, you'll have access to boutiques, restaurants, and more! Members of the WCU community are encouraged to take advantage of seasonal activities like "West Chester Restaurant Week," "May Day Festival of the Arts," or any of the holiday parades.
Learn about your #WCUlocal area. Follow the hashtag and post pics on social media of your local travels.
- Traditional housing offers double occupancy rooms with a room air conditioner and a communal bathroom; co-ed either by floor or by wing
- USH offers suite-style living with a semi-private bathroom and other amenities, including central air conditioning and fitness facilities
- South Campus (less than a mile away), offers the South Campus Apartment Complex, The Village Apartments, and East Village Apartments
- Off-campus housing in the borough of West Chester is available, and the Off-Campus and Commuter Services office has resources available.
Tuition and Fees
The amount of financial support varies each year depending on the tuition costs. Tuition is set each year in July for the following academic year. For the 2020-21 academic year, the estimated expenses posted on your I-20 and for which you must show support are as follows:
Full-Time International Students$22,385
(On- or Off-campus)$12,00
Full-Time International Students$750
Full-Time International Students$35,135
*Housing options vary in price, so living expenses are approximate.
**The total cost listed is an approximation due to the variation of housing costs. Total cost does not include books, supplies, or personal expenses.
Scholarships and Financial Assistance:
Though international students are not eligible for US government financial aid programs and cannot file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), some first year merit scholarships offered by West Chester University do not require FAFSA submission. In order to be considered for non-FAFSA based merit scholarships, students should apply for admission early in the fall of their final year, supply the needed transcripts/exam results and (if applicable) proof of English language proficiency, and be accepted no later than January 15th. Applicants awarded with a scholarship will be notified after acceptance.
International students are not eligible for federal financial aid. However, the Office of Admissions has a limited number of scholarships for distribution to select international (F-1) visa students. The scholarships are $4,000/year and renewable upon the student sustaining a 3.0 GPA and making academic progress while at WCU. Students with a GPA of at least a 3.0 at their current institution with English language proficiency scores (ie, SAT, ACT, TOEFL, IELTS, Duolingo) markedly above our minimum requirements are automatically reviewed for the scholarship.
West Chester University is unable to offer full or partial tuition scholarships to incoming international students.
General funding may be available from outside agencies for international students looking to attend US colleges. Additional information can be found on the following websites:
Where are our International Students from?
International Student Profiles
"The most valuable point of WCU to me, is undoubtedly the helpful, friendly and approachable professors. It is no question that they play a big role in helping me progress in a warm and welcoming atmosphere. "
Read More about Mohammed Albalawi
"The people, they are just pure fun! Everything is within walking distance which is convenient when you don’t have a car. And the school is just big enough for always running into people you know but also getting to know new faces. "
Read More about Monika Overdevest
"What I like most about WCU is that it is right in the heart of West Chester. I love to eat, so having a variety of locations around campus to get food without having to eat from the school cafeteria everyday gives me great joy."
Read More about Maxwell Adarkwah