Emily K. Miller
Office: UNA 107
- Ph.D. Mathematics Education, University of Delaware, Newark, DE
- M.S. Applied Mathematics, University of Delaware, Newark, DE
- B.A. Mathematics and Secondary Education, The College of New Jersey, Ewing, NJ
- Mathematics education
- Gender equity in mathematics
- Preparation of mathematics pre-service teachers
- Department of Mathematics, West Chester University, West Chester, PA Assistant Professor of Mathematics Education (2016 – present)
- College of Education, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Champaign, IL Institute of Education Sciences Postdoctoral Research Fellow (2015 – 2016)
Lubienski, S.T., Ganley, C.M., Makowski, M.B., Miller, E.K., & Timmer, J.D. (2021). “Bold Problem Solving”: A new construct for understanding gender differences in mathematics. Journal for Research in Mathematics Education, 52(1), 12 - 61. doi.org/10.5951/jresematheduc-2020-0136
Jansen, A., Gallivan, H., & Miller, E. (2020). Early-career teachers’ instructional visions for mathematics instruction: Impact of elementary teacher education. Journal of Mathematics Teacher Education, 23(2), 183 - 207. doi.org/10.1007/s10857-018-9419-1
Hiebert, J., Berk, D., Miller, E., Gallivan, H., & Meikle, E. (2019). Relationships between opportunity to learn mathematics in teacher preparation and graduates’ knowledge for teaching mathematics. Journal for Research in Mathematics Education, 50(1), 23 - 50. doi.org/10.5951/jresematheduc.50.1.0023
Lubienski, S.T., Miller, E., & Saclarides, S. (2018). Sex differences in doctoral student publication rates. Educational Researcher, 47(1), 76 - 81. doi.org/10.3102/0013189X17738746
Hiebert, J., Miller, E., & Berk, D. (2017). Relationships between mathematics teacher preparation and graduates’ analyses of classroom teaching. Elementary School Journal, 177(4), 687 - 707. doi.org/10.1086/691685
Cimpian, J.R., Lubienski, S.T., Timmer, J.D., Makowski, M.B., & Miller, E.K. (2016). Have gender gaps in math closed? Achievement, teacher perceptions, and student behaviors across two ECLS-K cohorts. AERA Open, 2(4), 1 - 19. doi.org/10.1177/2332858416673617
- Berk, D., Gallivan, H., Jansen, A., McKenney, K., Meikle, E., & Miller, E. (2016, June). Measuring effects of 15 years of course improvements on graduates’ teaching competence. Presentation at the University of Delaware Mathematics Teacher Preparation Conference, Newark, DE.
- Miller, E. (2016, February). Gender and doctoral mathematics: Impactful factors for the success of female students. Presentation to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign chapter of the Association for Women in Mathematics.
- Miller, E. (2016, April). Gender and doctoral mathematics: Impactful factors for female students’ success. Interactive paper presentation at the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) Research Conference, San Francisco, CA.
- Miller, E., & George-Jackson, C. (2016, January). Success in doctoral mathematics: What do faculty members expect of their students in order for them to be successful and to what do they attribute their own success? Presentation at the Joint Mathematics Meetings (JMM), Seattle, WA.
- Miller, E. (2015, December). Impactful factors for the success of female mathematics doctoral students: Working toward the formulation of a set of best practices. Poster presentation at the NCER/NCSER 2015 Principal Investigators Meeting, Washington, D.C.
- Jansen, A., Gallivan, H., & Miller, E. (2015, April). Transitioning from teacher preparation into teaching: Graduates’ professional visions for teaching elementary school mathematics. Poster presentation at the American Educational Research Association (AERA) Conference, Chicago, IL.
- Berk, D., Hiebert, J., Jansen, A., Morris, A., McKenney, K., & Miller, E. (2015, February). Investigating the effects of mathematics teacher preparation on teacher knowledge and practice: A multi-faceted approach. Symposium presentation at the Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators (AMTE) Conference, Orlando, FL.
- Miller, E. (2014, February). Factors associated with the success of female mathematics doctoral students. Presentation at the Research on Undergraduate Mathematics Education (RUME) Conference, Denver, CO.
- Berk, D., Gallivan, H. & Miller, E. (2014, February). (How) does mathematics teacher preparation matter? Findings from a longitudinal study. Presentation at the Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators (AMTE) Conference, Irvine, CA.
- Berk, D., Hiebert, J., Jansen, A., Morris, A., Cline, L., Gallivan, H., Meikle, E., & Miller, E. (2013, April). Effects of mathematics teacher preparation on teacher knowledge and practice. Symposium presentation at the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) Research Pre-Session, Denver, CO.
- Mitchell, B., Craig, J., Kandalam, A., Miller, E. (Co-PI), & Shah, V. Increasing the Persistence of STEM Majors through Nanoscience-Themed Activities that Support Academic, Professional, and Personal Engagement and Development. National Science Foundation Grant DUE 2028230, February 1, 2021 - January 31, 2026. ($999, 644)