CANDIDATE SERVICES - TEACHER CANDIDACY
(FORMERLY known as FORMAL ADMISSION TO TEACHER EDUCATION)
Teacher Candidacy is the written process that confirms your intent to pursue teacher certification at West Chester University in a teacher education program. Access to designated advanced professional education courses is restricted to teacher candidates who have applied and received the "milestone" of Teacher Candidacy on their transcript of EDF030U or EDF030G.
- Enrolled in a program leading to teacher certification or educational specialist
- Earned a minimum of 48 credits at the college level (100 level or above)
- Earned a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.8
- Earned 3 credits in college-level English composition
- Earned 3 credits in literature taught in English
- Earned 6 credits in college-level mathematics
- Achieved passing scores as established by the PA Department of Education on the Basic Skills tests. Use the PDE Calculator to determine whether your scores meet the Basic Skills requirement.
- Received approval from your academic department.
- The Community Service Experience requirement (only early grades, middle grades, and special education/dual majors)
- If applicable, met any additional program specific requirements. Honors students can use the completion of HON 212, HON 313, and HON 352 for three credits of English composition, three credits of English literature, and a math course.
- Application Process (electronic process)
Click the link to complete the application:
Teacher Candidacy application (all undergraduate programs except Music Education)
Go to MyWCU and access your Unofficial Transcript to obtain information to fill in the Teacher Candidacy form.
Click submit in the form when all information is completed. Candidate Services will verify your Teacher Candidacy requirements and contact your department for departmental approval.
- Baccalaureate graduate from a regionally accredited college or university
- Minimum GPA of 2.8 on most recent 48 credits of college/university coursework
- Admission to a WCU program leading to a Pennsylvania Department of Education certification
- Department approval (Signature from program coordinator on APS; Departments may have additional and/or more rigorous requirements for their students.)
- Schedule a meeting with your program coordinator/academic advisor. Students completing dual programs must follow this process for each program.
- During the meeting, determine program requirements by completing an Approved Program of Study (APS).
- Candidates entering a Foreign Languages Program must use this department specific Approved Program of Study (APS).
- Attach the required documents listed the APS.
- Submit the original version of the APS with all required documents to the Certification Office, 302 Recitation Hall. Photocopies and unofficial documents cannot be accepted.
- Verify your Teacher Candidacy status by logging in to MyWCU, viewing your unofficial transcript, and scrolling to the bottom of the transcript. Under the milestone section, the Teacher Candidacy milestone will appear as EDF030U or EDF030G: Teacher Candidacy.
- Undergraduate Students: If at any time your cumulative GPA falls below 2.8, Teacher Candidacy will be removed from your record and you will be denied access to designated advanced professional education courses. Notify by email Judith MacDonald, Associate Director, Candidate Services, Wayne Hall, Suite 107, to have your Teacher Candidacy status reinstated once you have earned a minimum 2.8 cumulative GPA again.