Admission FAQs

Can I transfer credits from another graduate program?

West Chester University welcomes transfer students. To request transfer of graduate credits, please review the conditions outlined on the TRANSFER OF GRADUATE CREDIT request form. If conditions are met, submit the form along with supporting documents to

I have been out of school for a while and I am not able to obtain academic references. Will my application still be considered?

We understand that people returning to graduate school after many years may not be able to obtain academic references. If this is the case, you must be sure to include references from professional or volunteer colleagues who are in a position to reflect on your potential ability as a graduate student of social work. This is even more pertinent for individuals whose GPA does not meet our requirements.

Can I take classes even though I am not matriculated into the program?

Yes. Students may take up to six credits (two courses) as a non-matriculated (non-degree) student with approval from the department. Contact Kyle Murray, the program recruiter, for information.

If I am not accepted into the Advanced Standing program, can I be considered for the regular program?

Yes, if an Advanced Standing applicant is not accepted to the program, the application is automatically reviewed for consideration for the regular program. 

Can I begin my coursework in January or over the summer?

Given the structure of the program, all coursework begins in the fall semester. The exception is for Advanced Standing students, who start their classes in late May. Students may be eligible to take one or two elective courses as a non-matriculated (non-degree) student prior to officially starting the program in the fall. Contact the department to inquire about non-degree status. 

If I am applying to complete my degree in Philadelphia, where should I have my transcripts sent?

Transcripts should be emailed to regardless of which location you apply to attend.

Is an interview required?

Applicants may be invited for an interview at the discretion of the Admissions Committee. Interview typically take place via phone.

I am an international student. What do I need to do to apply to your program?

Students from abroad must submit their applications and supporting documents to the Graduate College and Extended Education no later than January 15 for admission the following fall semester. Applicants whose native language is not English must submit evidence of satisfactory performance on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) to The Graduate School and Extended Education before application forms can be processed. A score of 550 is the minimum acceptable score. Information about this exam may be obtained from the Educational Testing Service. Registration forms must reach ETS at least five weeks before the test is to be taken.

The following documents are also required:

  • Completed application form
  • Official copy of school certificates
  • Official record of the TOEFL score, sent directly by ETS to the The Graduate School and Extended Education
  • Proof of Financial Support Form
  • Medical History Form
  • If a student is admitted to a degree program, US Immigration (I-20) Form will be supplied by the University

Additional questions may be directed to the office of International Student Programs and Services.

If I enroll in Philadelphia, can I take classes at the location in West Chester?

Students who are enrolled in the MSW Program in Philadelphia must take required courses in Philadelphia. Students may take their electives (nine credits) at either location.

Learn More about Admissions